Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Chen (陈) Jun (军)" <ch...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/04 06:26:48 UTC

Can I view file details when using IE/firefox to browse a SVN repos through Apache server

I'm using Subversion 1.6.2 on Windows XP, and I've successfully set up
the Apache server to serve my SVN repositories according to instructions
provided by the red bean book Chapter 6. Server Configuration -> httpd,
the Apache HTTP Server <svn.serverconfig.httpd.html>. So I think it is
good to take this facility as a Web download server.

But I still have a question. When I use IE/firefox to browse a directory
node inside a repository, I only see file names listed. Can I see file
size and file modification time as well? -- so that it is more friendly
to the web visitor.

Thank you in advance.

RE: Can I view file details when using IE/firefox to browse a SVN repos through Apache server

Posted by "Anderson, Aaron" <An...@gsicommerce.com>.
You might want to set up a cron job that automatically exports or checks out/updates a working copy of your repository - at that point, you can map into it with Apache or IIS or whatever, turn on directory browsing, and your clients are just looking at a file system via HTTP.  Then you don't have to worry about getting SVN to cooperate with formatting considerations.

- Aaron Anderson, Senior Manager
Shared Services - Dev Tier Support / Source Code Management

Posted by "Chen (陈) Jun (军)" <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:26 AM, "Chen (陈) Jun (军)" <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using Subversion 1.6.2 on Windows XP, and I've successfully set up
> the Apache server to serve my SVN repositories according to instructions
> provided by the red bean book Chapter 6. Server Configuration -> httpd,
> the Apache HTTP Server <svn.serverconfig.httpd.html>. So I think it is
> good to take this facility as a Web download server.
>
> But I still have a question. When I use IE/firefox to browse a directory
> node inside a repository, I only see file names listed. Can I see file
> size and file modification time as well? -- so that it is more friendly
> to the web visitor.
>
> Thank you in advance.

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Can I view file details when using IE/firefox to browse a SVN repos through Apache server

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, "Chen Jun(??)"!

>>> For the answers from the mailing list up to now all require me to setup
>>> an *extra server* (ViewVC or Sventon or Nexus)
>>>

>> You should take care of your words.
>> It's not an "*extra server*", as first two is a repository browsing tools, you
>> need your existing Apache to run them.
>>

> Sorry, my fault. I should have said *extra server setup* .

As I said, your *existing* Apache is enough to do that. Just a few tweaks in
configuration is required.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Can I view file details when using IE/firefox to browse a SVN repos through Apache server

Posted by "Chen Jun(陈军)" <ch...@gmail.com>.
Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, "Chen (?) Jun (?)"!
>

>> For the answers from the mailing list up to now all require me to setup
>> an *extra server* (ViewVC or Sventon or Nexus)
>>

> You should take care of your words.
> It's not an "*extra server*", as first two is a repository browsing tools, you
> need your existing Apache to run them.

Sorry, my fault. I should have said *extra server setup* .
>> that can read SVN
>> repository and serve them to IE/firefox clients. So I'd like to flag
>> this question unresolved.
>>

> --
> WBR,
>  Andrey Repin (anrdaemon@freemail.ru) 09.09.2009, <15:54>
>
> Sorry for my terrible english...

--

*陈 军*

	*Chen Jun*

Re: Can I view file details when using IE/firefox to browse a SVN repos through Apache server

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, "Chen (?) Jun (?)"!

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
Dear Chen,

> For the answers from the mailing list up to now all require me to setup
> an *extra server* (ViewVC or Sventon or Nexus) that can read SVN
> repository and serve them to IE/firefox clients.

> So I'd like to flag this question unresolved.

Why do you say "flag this unresolved"? This is not like a support
forum from a big vendor where you can "claim" support. Did you
contribute your experiences to other new users? If not, how can you
expect others to do so with you?

With kind regards,

Erik.

Re: Can I view file details when using IE/firefox to browse a SVN repos through Apache server

Posted by "Chen (陈) Jun (军)" <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dextrous <de...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:56 AM, "Chen (陈) Jun (军)" <ch...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm using Subversion 1.6.2 on Windows XP, and I've successfully set up
> the Apache server to serve my SVN repositories according to instructions
> provided by the red bean book Chapter 6. Server Configuration -> httpd,
> the Apache HTTP Server <svn.serverconfig.httpd.html>. So I think it is
> good to take this facility as a Web download server.
>
> But I still have a question. When I use IE/firefox to browse a directory
> node inside a repository, I only see file names listed. Can I see file
> size and file modification time as well? -- so that it is more friendly
> to the web visitor.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Vishwajeet