Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2020/04/24 21:33:53 UTC

DISCUSS: Move hbase-thrift and hbase-rest out of core to hbase-connectors project?

Taking a sounding....

We've talked of moving the hbase-rest and hbase-thrift modules out of core
over to hbase-connectors project [2, 3]. The connectors project [1] was
meant for the likes of REST and thrift. I'm thinking of trying to do the
move in the next few days BEFORE 2.3.0RC0. Any objections? I'd make a
release from hbase-connectors as part of this effort and would make sure it
works w/ 2.3.0.

Thank you,

1. https://github.com/apache/hbase-connectors
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20999
3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20998

Re: DISCUSS: Move hbase-thrift and hbase-rest out of core to hbase-connectors project?

Posted by Esteban Gutierrez <es...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1

But it would be great if we can deprecate their presence of those modules
first in 2.3

thanks,
esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.

Posted by Esteban Gutierrez <es...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
I think we only need to depend on hbase-client for hbase-rest and
hbase-thrift? No?

Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> 于2020年4月28日周二 下午1:44写道:

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 22:06 Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> By "works with it" do you mean has documented steps to work with it or do
> you mean that the convenience binary that ships for 2.3.0 will have the
> same deployment model as prior 2.y releases where I can run those services
> directly from the download?

I would not suggest packaging hbase-connectors into the hbase(-core)
tarball. Instead, I would recommend some accommodation akin to (or perhaps
simpler than) what we do with hbck2. Perhaps we can add a env variable that
is the path to the unpacked connectors tarball. This can be sniffed in
`bin/hbase` to retain support for the existing `bin/hbase <service>
<action>` commands.

I do think we’d need to have a release of connectors before we release
core, if this is indeed the desired path.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Hentschel <ja...@ultratendency.com>.
+1

From: "张铎(Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 3:20 AM
To: HBase Dev List <de...@hbase.apache.org>
Cc: Hbase-User <us...@hbase.apache.org>
Subject: Re: DISCUSS: Move hbase-thrift and hbase-rest out of core to hbase-connectors project?

+1.

Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>> 于2020年4月25日周六 上午5:50写道:

+1
Let's do it.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Stack <st...@duboce.net>> wrote:

> Taking a sounding....
>
> We've talked of moving the hbase-rest and hbase-thrift modules out of
core
> over to hbase-connectors project [2, 3]. The connectors project [1] was
> meant for the likes of REST and thrift. I'm thinking of trying to do the
> move in the next few days BEFORE 2.3.0RC0. Any objections? I'd make a
> release from hbase-connectors as part of this effort and would make sure
it
> works w/ 2.3.0.
>
> Thank you,
>

> 1. https://github.com/apache/hbase-connectors
> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20999
> 3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20998

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
    - A23, Crosstalk

Re: DISCUSS: Move hbase-thrift and hbase-rest out of core to hbase-connectors project?

Posted by Jan Hentschel <ja...@ultratendency.com>.
+1

From: "张铎(Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 3:20 AM
To: HBase Dev List <de...@hbase.apache.org>
Cc: Hbase-User <us...@hbase.apache.org>

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Update.

I seem to be over the bulk of my difficulty getting thrift/rest to behave
in the hadoop3/jdk11 context though there are still some stragglers.
Because of this I am thinking of doing the move after 2.3.x, for 2.4.x,
instead. I'll run the scenario Josh suggests of an hbase-connectors release
first that packages thrift/rest.

At move time, let me mess w/ the suggestions below of shedding dependencies
on the likes of YARN and of updating REST to (shaded?) jersey2, etc.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Update.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.