Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2007/10/02 01:50:18 UTC

Bugfixing and 10.3 maintenance release

I've been thinking quite a bit about the bug backlog  and was wondering
what it might take to get the community motivated to fix bugs. I decided
that what might really help is a maintenance release.  We already have
some valuable fixes in 10.3 which users have asked for.  If each
developer were willing to put in a couple more we could have a valuable
maintenance release in December.    Who would be willing to participate
if I were to volunteer to be release manager for a release December
10?   By participate I mean would you be willing to make fixes or test
the release?  If we get enough community enthusiasm for the release I
think it is worth doing.

Kathey

Below are some reports you might find useful:

Open Code Bugs [279]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&type=1&pid=10594&status=1&status=3&status=4&component=11407&component=11409&component=11690&component=11410&component=11709&component=11411&component=11415&component=11408&component=11412&component=11414&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

Open Product Regressions [8]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&status=1&status=3&status=4&customfield_12310090=Regression&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=ASC&sorter/field=updated&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

Regression Test Failures [61]  (Yikes!)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&status=1&status=3&status=4&component=12310664&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=ASC&sorter/field=updated&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

Shorter list of high value fix candidates. Please add as you see appropriate
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/HighValueFixCandidates

Re: Bugfixing and 10.3 maintenance release

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
+1

I plan to fix bugs for this. Thanks for volunteering to cat-herd a
maintenance release!

Regards,
-Rick

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
+1

I am working on DERBY-2967 which will be a good candidate for the December
release. Hope to address more stuff.

Mamta

Posted by Manjula Kutty <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 will work on fixing the open svt bugs and some of the test bugs. Also
will help in testing thr release candidate.

-Manjula

On 10/2/07, Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/1/07, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > [...snip...]Who would be willing to participate
> > if I were to volunteer to be release manager for a release December
> > 10?   By participate I mean would you be willing to make fixes or test
> > the release?  If we get enough community enthusiasm for the release I
> > think it is worth doing.
> >
> > Kathey
>
> I will help out - I think with getting some of the test issues back
> log out of the way or at least further analyzed; as well as testing. I
> also plan to help out by addressing some of the release build issues -
> if no one beats me to it.
>
> Myrna

Manjula.

Re: Bugfixing and 10.3 maintenance release

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
> maintenance release in December.    Who would be willing to participate
> if I were to volunteer to be release manager for a release December

+1 from me; I would be glad to contribute by fixing some bugs and
working on some testing.

thanks,

bryan

Re: Bugfixing and 10.3 maintenance release

Posted by Mayuresh Nirhali <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
+1 from me too.

I am planning to spend some time on bug fixing and having a release
target is a good motivation.

Mayuresh

Posted by Jørgen Løland <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
+1

I also plan to devote some cycles on bugfixing for the maintenance
release. I'm currently looking into a few candidates...

--
Jørgen Løland

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>.
As a user, in particular I would like to see some of those yucky
security exceptions with the network server get resolved (or must
those be done in a feature release?)

David

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.
> I've been thinking quite a bit about the bug backlog  and was wondering
> what it might take to get the community motivated to fix bugs. I decided
> that what might really help is a maintenance release.  We already have
> some valuable fixes in 10.3 which users have asked for.  If each
> developer were willing to put in a couple more we could have a valuable
> maintenance release in December.    Who would be willing to participate
> if I were to volunteer to be release manager for a release December
> 10?   By participate I mean would you be willing to make fixes or test
> the release?  If we get enough community enthusiasm for the release I
> think it is worth doing.

+1

I think a 10.3 update release at the end of this year is a good thing
and not in conflict with a 10.4 feature release in Q1 2008. I will
also devote some time to fix a bug or two.

> Kathey

Staff Engineer, Derby/Java DB
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: Bugfixing and 10.3 maintenance release

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I've been thinking quite a bit about the bug backlog  and was wondering
> what it might take to get the community motivated to fix bugs. I decided
> that what might really help is a maintenance release.  We already have
> some valuable fixes in 10.3 which users have asked for.  If each
> developer were willing to put in a couple more we could have a valuable
> maintenance release in December.    Who would be willing to participate
> if I were to volunteer to be release manager for a release December
> 10?   By participate I mean would you be willing to make fixes or test
> the release?  If we get enough community enthusiasm for the release I
> think it is worth doing.
>
> Kathey
>

> Below are some reports you might find useful:
>
> Open Code Bugs [279]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&type=1&pid=10594&status=1&status=3&status=4&component=11407&component=11409&component=11690&component=11410&component=11709&component=11411&component=11415&component=11408&component=11412&component=11414&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
>

> Open Product Regressions [8]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&status=1&status=3&status=4&customfield_12310090=Regression&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=ASC&sorter/field=updated&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC
>

> Regression Test Failures [61]  (Yikes!)
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&status=1&status=3&status=4&component=12310664&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=ASC&sorter/field=updated&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC
>

> Shorter list of high value fix candidates. Please add as you see
> appropriate
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/HighValueFixCandidates

I think having a maintenance release in this time frame would be good.
I would be available to fix bugs.  As usual I would fix bugs in the
trunk and then backport them to the 10.3 branch - so both the
maintenance release and the currently discussed 1st quarter trunk
release would benefit.

/mikem

Re: Bugfixing and 10.3 maintenance release

Posted by Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oy...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I've been thinking quite a bit about the bug backlog  and was wondering
> what it might take to get the community motivated to fix bugs. I decided
> that what might really help is a maintenance release.  We already have
> some valuable fixes in 10.3 which users have asked for.  If each
> developer were willing to put in a couple more we could have a valuable
> maintenance release in December.    Who would be willing to participate
> if I were to volunteer to be release manager for a release December
> 10?   By participate I mean would you be willing to make fixes or test
> the release?  If we get enough community enthusiasm for the release I
> think it is worth doing.

I plan to devote some time to bug fixing this fall.  (I am currently
working on DERBY-2892)

--
Øystein

Re: Bugfixing and 10.3 maintenance release

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I've been thinking quite a bit about the bug backlog  and was
> wondering what it might take to get the community motivated to fix
> bugs. I decided that what might really help is a maintenance release.
> We already have some valuable fixes in 10.3 which users have asked
> for.  If each developer were willing to put in a couple more we could
> have a valuable maintenance release in December.    Who would be
> willing to participate if I were to volunteer to be release manager
> for a release December 10?   By participate I mean would you be
> willing to make fixes or test the release?  If we get enough community
> enthusiasm for the release I think it is worth doing.

+1

Dag

Re: Bugfixing and 10.3 maintenance release

Posted by Henri van de Scheur <He...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Who would be willing to participate if I were to volunteer to be
> release manager for a release December 10?   By participate I mean
> would you be willing to make fixes or test the release?
I will contribute with testing the release on a number of platforms.

--

With regards,

Henri van de Scheur, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway