Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "See Kai Leong, Ken" <ke...@singnet.com.sg> on 2000/09/24 11:45:30 UTC

Running Tomcat 3.2 process as user:nobody

Hi,

Anyone has any idea how can I use nobody to run the tomcat process instead
of root?

Thanks.

Regards,
Ken, See Kai Leong

Re: Running Tomcat 3.2 process as user:nobody

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
"See Kai Leong, Ken" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using the startup.sh in the $TOMCAT_HOME/bin directory. I tried su -c
> ./startup.sh nobody but it failed with permission access rights errors.
>
> Apache do not have this access rights problem. Is there another way of doing
> it or am I suppose to change all the directory owner to nobody?
>
> Is tomcat going to have a "user" directive like apache for this?

You mean it starts as root then Tomcat changes to user nobody?
That is something very OS dependant and would require native libs.

What I did was create a user and group called "tomcat" with the
same /etc/passwd config as nobody.  Then I wrote my own little start
script that uses su - tomcat startup.sh.

You also have to chown tomcat:tomcat the work, webapps, and log directories.
Also the conf directory if you use the web server config files generated
by tomcat.

I also configured a conf/tomcat.policy file and start tomcat with -security
so that the Java SecurityManager can be used to sandbox Tomcat and webapps.
(The java SecurityManager is only available in Tomcat 3.2 and above.)

Regards,

Glenn

Posted by Holger Klawitter <ho...@klawitter.de>.