Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org> on 1999/09/04 21:47:46 UTC

Re: Strawman XML

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, sehh of H.I.C. & D.B.S. wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:17:44 +0200 (CEST), Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>
> >I'd like to hear some noice from people writing configurators, just to see
> >where they are heading.. and from people thinking of improving the doc's,
> >having multiple language variants, etc.
>
> I am the author of ServerConfig/2, GUI config util for OS/2. What i
> was looking for, was a 'version' of the Apache documentation which
> could be compiled under the OS/2 help file format. Which ofcourse i
> did my converting HTML into that format (.IPF). Although its not a
> perfect copy of the HTML code, it gives me the base to modify it any
> way i want.

Did you ever open source this ? Or is it easy to read in an ascii-like
format to see what you have done without installing OS/2.

> XML is a good choice, but you have to consider that the Apache
> documentation must also exist online in Apache's website, and HTML is
> a more suitable format since it can be browsed by older browsers.

Well in general, I've found it trivial (using for example IBM's lotusxsl
tool) to generate HTML from the XML using an XSLT stylesheet. Which I am
using also for some of the UI experiments. PDF is easy from there.

Did you have a look at the file I sendt in the previous msg ? Would that
be enough for your OS/2 docs and for your OS/2 configurator to be driven
from it, or would you need more ?

Dw

Re: Strawman XML

Posted by "sehh of H.I.C. & D.B.S." <se...@altered.com>.
On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 21:47:46 +0200 (CEST), Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>> I am the author of ServerConfig/2, GUI config util for OS/2. What i
>> was looking for, was a 'version' of the Apache documentation which
>> could be compiled under the OS/2 help file format. Which ofcourse i
>> did my converting HTML into that format (.IPF). Although its not a
>> perfect copy of the HTML code, it gives me the base to modify it any
>> way i want.
>Did you ever open source this ? Or is it easy to read in an ascii-like
>format to see what you have done without installing OS/2.

No, ServerConfig/2 is not open source, its freeware. The .IPF format
which is used by OS/2 Help files is plain text and requires a special
compiler to turn it into a binary .HLP. Its very complex though and its
not easy to edit by hand. What do you mean what i have done?

>Did you have a look at the file I sendt in the previous msg ? Would that
>be enough for your OS/2 docs and for your OS/2 configurator to be driven
>from it, or would you need more ?

Yes i did check it out, but an OS/2 program would require the OS/2 Help file
format, so that it can be called online via F1 etc. So it can't be actualy used like
that.

But i guess an XML documentation which can be converted to HTML or plain text
is not a problem since i can then convert whatever i want to an OS/2 Help file.

� H.I.C. & D.B.S. � OS/2 Warp � Hellas �
� ServerConfig � InfoHICmag � OS/2 UK UG �

� Error: 132 - Windows not found: (C)heer (P)arty (D)ance

Re: Strawman XML

Posted by "sehh of H.I.C. & D.B.S." <se...@altered.com>.