Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Xian Woo <in...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/20 08:59:50 UTC

questions about multiple masters

Hello, everyone, I've got a question here and I really need your advice.

Background: The Hadoop version is CDH3u1. I've got 8 nodes on my cluster,
one as namenode/jobtracker/master, the others
asdatanode/jtasktracker/regionserver.  I've backed up the namenode by
creating a directory via NFS.

I'm wondering whether I should back up the hbase master or not. Is there any
possibility of data loss if I don't back up the hbase master?

Also, if I back up the hbase master and hope that the backup hbase master
continues to work when the real master not working, should I separate the
hbase master from the hadoop namenode? Here is my
concern: As you know, when the master of the cluster went down, the cluster
would crash(since the  namenode is on the master node). And I suppose the
backup master would  not get to work until the hadoop cluster back to
normal.

I would really appreciate it if you could comment on my question here. Thank
you, guys.

Best wishes,

Xian Wu

RE: questions about multiple masters

Posted by Stuti Awasthi <st...@hcl.com>.
HI Xian,

> I'm wondering whether I should back up the hbase master or not. Is
> there any possibility of data loss if I don't back up the hbase master?

Well if you do not take the backup of Hbase Master, then you will not be able to access your data present in HDFS but since the data is on HDFS so data is not lost. Here I am assuming that your HDFS cluster is up and running.
If you take Backup Hbase Master, then once your Hbase Master is down , after some time Backup Hbase Master will become Hbase Master and you will be able to access your data as before.
In both case if your HDFS cluster is running fine, then your data is safe.

Hope this helps!

Stuti

> I'm wondering whether I should back up the hbase master or not. Is
> there any possibility of data loss if I don't back up the hbase master?

No.  Master does not hold 'state'.  Any state it needs it keeps out in zookeeper.

> Also, if I back up the hbase master and hope that the backup hbase
> master continues to work when the real master not working, should I
> separate the hbase master from the hadoop namenode? Here is my
> concern: As you know, when the master of the cluster went down, the
> cluster would crash(since the  namenode is on the master node). And I
> suppose the backup master would  not get to work until the hadoop
> cluster back to normal.

That is right.  HBase won't work when NameNode is down.

St.Ack

::DISCLAIMER::

Re: questions about multiple masters

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.