Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com> on 2019/08/19 13:36:59 UTC

[REPORT] Lucene.Net - August 2019

Apache Lucene.Net is a port of the Lucene search engine library, written in C# and targeted at .NET runtime users.

== Summary ==

We have been stalled in the first half of 2019 with limited progress:

* New Website went live: http://lucenenet.apache.org/

* The team was looking at our CI options, the consensus was to try to get on Azure DevOps

However, over the past few months the community has submitted pull requests to patch some important stability and thread safety bugs. We also got enough of ICU4J ported to support Lucene.Net, which has been an issue that has been blocking progress for some time. The previous dependency (icu-dotnet) was both extremely large and unstable, and was causing lots of issues with getting the tests to run reliably.

We have set up CI on Azure DevOps, which has also addressed another long-standing issue: the amount of time it takes to increment and test. Parallel testing was setup to reduce the testing time from around 1 hour and 15 minutes to around 45 minutes. The new setup also allows us to test on Linux and macOS for the first time.

We released 4.8.0-beta00006 this month with the patches the community provided as well as some bugs that were newly discovered with the new CI process. The Lucene.Net.ICU module is now feature-complete. There was a command line tool named lucene-cli included in the binary distribution of beta00005 but this time around it has been packaged up as a dotnet tool on NuGet so it can be installed directly from the command line.

We are currently working on finishing up the test framework module. It was previously ported, but the fact that it was meant to be an end-user module was overlooked, so there are several issues to address to ready it for wide use. We are also working on more automation for generating API documentation to keep it in sync with releases.

== Releases ==

* Last Release 3.0.3 - Oct 2012

* Working toward 4.8.0 - Currently beta0006, released 2019-08-13

== People ==

* Last PMC Member added May 2017, Shad Storhaug (nightowl888)

* Last committer added Sept 2016, Shad Storhaug (nightowl888)

* PMC Chair rotated 20 June 2018 to Shad Storhaug (nightowl888)

== Statistics ==

As of 2019.08.19 Metric are as follows:

Release 3.0.3

* Lucene.Net 3.0.3: 2,507,308

* Lucene.Net.Contrib 3.0.3: 554,455

* Lucene.Net Contrib Spatial: 32,467

* Lucene.Net Contrib Spatial.NTS: 6,829

Beta 4.8.0-beta00005 (Published 10/24/2017)

* Lucene.Net: 155,313

* Lucene.Net.Analysis.Common: 142,723

* Lucene.Net.Analysis.Kuromoji: 4,484

* Lucene.Net.Analysis.Phonetic: 1,962

* Lucene.Net.Analysis.SmartCn: 541

* Lucene.Net.Analysis.Stempel: 1,090

* Lucene.Net.Benchmark: 507

* Lucene.Net.Classification: 1,030

* Lucene.Net.Codecs: 2,835

* Lucene.Net.Expressions: 5,577

* Lucene.Net.Facet: 7,369

* Lucene.Net.Grouping: 8,311

* Lucene.Net.Highlighter: 4,695

* Lucene.Net.ICU: 868

* Lucene.Net.Join: 7,624

* Lucene.Net.Memory: 8,121

* Lucene.Net.Misc: 6,035

* Lucene.Net.Queries: 125,839

* Lucene.Net.QueryParser: 119,881

* Lucene.Net.Replicator: 549

* Lucene.Net.Sandbox: 125,906

* Lucene.Net.Spatial: 4,615

* Lucene.Net.Suggest: 5,185

Beta 4.8.0-beta00006 (Published 08/13/2019)

* Lucene.Net: 133

* Lucene.Net.Analysis.Common: 98

* Lucene.Net.Analysis.Kuromoji: 50

* Lucene.Net.Analysis.Phonetic: 42