Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Oscar Segarra Rey <os...@gencat.net> on 2007/08/29 19:20:16 UTC

catalina logging stopped after install log4j.jar

Hi,

I have reinstalled tomcat5.5.23 in a tomcat clustered environment in a W2003 SP2 operating system.

With the default configuration everything worked perfectly but due to developement requirements I had to put log4j.jar in the commons\lib path and afterwareds system no longer wrote on my catalina.[DATE].log file.

What's happening ?

Is there any way to configure log4j.properties in order to get the same loggin information in the same file ?

Thanks in advance.

________________________________

Oscar Segarra

Àrea de Tecnologies de la Informació i les Comunicacions

Departament de la Presidència Generalitat de Catalunya

C/ Sant Honorat, 1, 08002 - Barcelona

Tel. 934 02 48 34

email: osegarra@gencat.net

Re: catalina logging stopped after install log4j.jar

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:20:16 +0200
  Oscar Segarra Rey <os...@gencat.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have reinstalled tomcat5.5.23 in a tomcat clustered environment in a W2003
>SP2 operating system.
>

> With the default configuration everything worked perfectly but due to
>developement requirements I had to put log4j.jar in the commons\lib path and
>afterwareds system no longer wrote on my catalina.[DATE].log file.

What do you mean the "default configuration"?  Are you saying that you didn't
use Log4j before?  In order for Tomcat to use Log4j (in Tomcat 5.5.xx, at
least, it's different tin 6.xx) you need log4j.jar and commons-logging.jar in
common/lib.  Then you need log4j.properties in common/classes.

> What's happening ?
>
> Is there any way to configure log4j.properties in order to get the same
>loggin information in the same file ?

Sure.  Define a DailyRollingFileAppender.  Or, if you start up using the
Windows Servive, just define a ConsoleAppender and the service will take care
of the log file (by date, just as you want it to be).  Here's the essence of
my config file (notice that I use the Windows Service and use the log to
ConsoleAppender technique just described)...

log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p [%-8.8t]: %39.39c %-6r - %m%n

log4j.appender.LOCALHOST=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.LOCALHOST.File=${catalina.base}/logs/localhost.log
log4j.appender.LOCALHOST.MaxFileSize=1000KB
log4j.appender.LOCALHOST.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.LOCALHOST.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.LOCALHOST.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p [%-8.8t]: %39.39c %-6r
- %m%n

log4j.appender.MYAPP=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.MYAPP.File=${catalina.base}/logs/localhost_myapp.log
log4j.appender.MYAPP.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd
log4j.appender.MYAPP.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.MYAPP.layout.ConversionPattern=%c{1} %-6r - %m%n

log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/myapp]=INFO,
MYAPP
log4j.additivity.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/myapp]=false

log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]=INFO,
LOCALHOST
log4j.additivity.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]=false

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, A1

Jake