Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de> on 2014/06/20 11:21:51 UTC

How to deal with unspecific issues in JIRA?

Hi folks,

some minutes ago the following ticket has been opened:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-437

To me this reads like something which should have been discussed
before opening a ticket on the user mailing list, because I doubt it's
a bug in Log4cxx, but a a problem with the user specific build process
or such. In any case, form my point of view it's simply to unspecific
to work as a bug, the user needs to provide more details to help him
and I don't think such common things are well suited in JIRA.

So I would propose to advice people with common "things don't
work"-issues to the users mailing list first and decide there if
something is a bug or not and create a bug in JRA afterwards.

The problem now is that we have the following sentence:

> Issues, bugs, and feature requests should be submitted to the
> following issue tracking system for this project.

But we don't want "issues" in JIRA, issues belong to the users mailing
list. I would change that template to provide a more detailed
explanation of what we want in JIRA and what should be posted to the
users mailing list first.

Any objections?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: How to deal with unspecific issues in JIRA?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Thorsten Schöning,
am Freitag, 20. Juni 2014 um 11:21 schrieben Sie:

> But we don't want "issues" in JIRA, issues belong to the users mailing
> list. I would change that template to provide a more detailed
> explanation of what we want in JIRA and what should be posted to the
> users mailing list first.

Here's my suggestion:

        <<Bugs>> and <<feature requests>> should be submitted to the following issue tracking system
        for this project.

        {{{https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX}https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX}}

        <<Please don't just open bugs only because things don't work for you>>, some issues simply
        don't are bugs in the code base of the project or it's build tools, but may have a lot of
        different other reasons. If things don't work for you and you need some help, please subscribe
        to the {{{http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/mail-lists.html}users mailing listt}} and describe
        the issue you have, the more detailled the better. The mailing list is far better place to
        discuss things than JIRA, besides that there are more users than developers of the project and
        issues created in JIRA are only forwarded to the latter. There's always the chance to create an
        issue in JIRA later, hopefully with a specific explanation of the problem and even a solution
        already.

        As a rule of thumb, if you already digged through the code and found a problem in it or it's
        build tools, feel free to directly create a bug in {{{https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX}JIRA}}.
        instead.

        Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,