Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/14 16:01:48 UTC

Wiki, SVN, other resources

Hello,

Joe- as you are the one from infra in this project, how can we help
you to make your life easier.

Usually a podling would create an issue with all required resources in
it and infra would work it top down.

Shall we create an issue for you too?

As far as I see there is a request for a Wiki space. It seems to be a
bit overkill to make it via Jira after mailinglists and much accounts
are already created.

Cheers,
Christian

Re: Wiki, SVN, other resources

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 14/06/2011 17:34, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi guys;
>
> I am a freeBSD user/contributor and I hope I will be able to
> contribute to OOo too. For now do excuse me if I am not very
> aware of the Apache processes/procedures.

That's what the incubator is for. Out goal (as mentors) is to get enough
people up to speed that we can then all get out the way and watch the
project flourish.

> One doubt I have is whether the historic metadata from the previous OOo
> Hg/bugzilla will also be imported.

Generally we prefer to preserve history. It's not a requirement though.
I'm not aware of a script for moving history from Hg to subversion, but
I'm pretty sure someone here will know the best approach.

> The bugzilla database probably
> has uncommitted code that is nevertheless property of OpenOffice.org.

Personally I agree with you. It is better to bring across the bugzilla
data. Again, we need someone to step forward and work with our infra
team to make this happen. Volunteers?

> On both cases I guess the Oracle OpenOffice stuff will remain
> available for a while, but I was wondering if it made sense to
> transition all that stuff into the Apache incubator ASAP or just
> leave it as-is and fix the bugzilla issues case by case.

+1 for doing it ASAP.

Ross

Re: Wiki, SVN, other resources

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com>.
 Hi guys;

 I am a freeBSD user/contributor and I hope I will be able to
 contribute to OOo too. For now do excuse me if I am not very
 aware of the Apache processes/procedures.

 I am glad subversion will be used (the web interface is so much
 better than GIT) and I am pretty sure the read-only GIT/mercurial
 access will be sufficient for external developers.

 One doubt I have is whether the historic metadata from the previous OOo
 Hg/bugzilla will also be imported. I would guess in the SVN repository
 we want to start from scratch with the donated code, so the previous
 history in Hg can remain where it is. The bugzilla database probably
 has uncommitted code that is nevertheless property of OpenOffice.org.

 On both cases I guess the Oracle OpenOffice stuff will remain
 available for a while, but I was wondering if it made sense to
 transition all that stuff into the Apache incubator ASAP or just
 leave it as-is and fix the bugzilla issues case by case.

 FWIW, the bugzilla issue I care most about is the FreeBSD port
 but thankfully Maho@ will take care of that directly :).

 cheers,

 Pedro.

Re: Wiki, SVN, other resources

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 14/06/2011 17:06, Greg Stein wrote:

>> Lets create Jira issues, your argument is beating
>
> Joe may end up grabbing all of them. But the Jira issue let's him take
> a break, deferring to others to pick up the ticket.

And perhaps even more importantly it means we are following the normal
processes for getting things done around here and so people can just get
on with it without waiting for us mentors to form a bottleneck.

Ross

Re: Wiki, SVN, other resources

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:53, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I bet Joe created the mailing lists simply because he was feeling
>> energetic :-P ... I don't think it too advisable to consider him your
>> personal Infra guy :-)
>
> Oh no, it was surely not meant that way :-))

hehe... I know. I was teasing (the smiley!)

> He was around and he is a mentor - so I think the question, if he
> wants to do it while he is around is reasonable
>
> But surely, I am really opposite to slavery :-)
>
> Lets create Jira issues, your argument is beating

Joe may end up grabbing all of them. But the Jira issue let's him take
a break, deferring to others to pick up the ticket.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Wiki, SVN, other resources

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> I bet Joe created the mailing lists simply because he was feeling
> energetic :-P ... I don't think it too advisable to consider him your
> personal Infra guy :-)

Oh no, it was surely not meant that way :-))

He was around and he is a mentor - so I think the question, if he
wants to do it while he is around is reasonable

But surely, I am really opposite to slavery :-)

Lets create Jira issues, your argument is beating

Cheer

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Wiki, SVN, other resources

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
There are more people on the Infra team than Joe. Using a Jira ticket
means that somebody else can track and handle it.