Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Samuel Liddicott <sa...@campbellsci.co.uk> on 1998/07/24 14:31:38 UTC

mod_proxy/2691: FTP does not issue a PORT command, bad FTP servers may need this

>Number:         2691
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       FTP does not issue a PORT command, bad FTP servers may need this
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Its possible my understanding of FTP is wrong, but I beleive I have come accross at least one FTP instance of a wu-ftpd server that has wrong defaults for non passive transfers, and so no transfer is made.

I believe that if apache issued a PORT command before starting transfers that the problem would be solved.

Of course the real problem is the server, but for maximum interoperability... :-)  Could we have apache issue a PORT command before a (N)LIST or RETR command?
>How-To-Repeat:
Trouble is this FTPD is on someone ELSES private network.

I am sure of my diagnosis because my unix ftp client works no-problem, but apache hangs after issuing the RETR or LIST command, and then finally times out.
>Fix:
Yeah, use the PORT command.  My Delphi is good, but my C and Unix system programming is bad enough to prevent a code suggestion.  Sorry.