Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Gunjan Piyush Dave <gu...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/21 13:08:11 UTC

NiFi Real World Usage Queries

Hello NiFi Team,
Firstly, let me congratulate you on the fantastic work that your team is
doing and also on the release of 1.0 (beta) version. Your team is doing
great and NiFi shows many possibilites and  use cases, currently not
envisioned nor currently marketed for.

To be able to use NiFi to fullest capacities can I request your help in
addressing some of my queries?

1) Parallel Development
          How would a team of 50 developers work parallely on designing and
implementing common data flow? How would version control work? How can we
ensure that work of one developer in not overridden by another? Can we
version control the flow.xml file outside of nifi?
From microsoft biztalk background, where orchestration data flow design xml
is version controlled in TFS, can we do the same for flow.xml in git?
Can developers merge the local flow.xml externally and deploy the merged
flow.xml.gz into UAT?

2) User Authorization
      I understand from docs that user authorization needs to be managed in
authorization xml file? But is this manual process? Like I would have some
50 to 100 developers using it, i would be pain to manage the authorization
manually via xml file?
Is there some other way like ldap for authorization?

3) sensitive data like dbcp connection passwords in external file in
encrypted form, is it possible and how?

4) Functional testing the entire flow
      I understand each processor has run processor mock, but is there a way
i can test the entire flow in automated manner before going live?
Can there be an option of reading flow xml file into a separate test harness
and execute specific portions of the flow end to end?
Can minifi used for this purpose? I do understand that minifi is created for
different purpose but can it also be used for some form of automated
testing.

5) how does the debug flow processor work? Could not find enough
documentation there?

7) Is there a detailed infrastructure recommendation and setup guide for
NiFi cluster? Like best practises and some sample setup patterns.

Thanking in advance.

Thanks
Gunjan