Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org> on 2020/04/06 10:24:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Consolidated log4j2-properties file

Hello,

I discovered a handy trick that would allow us to share a single
log4j2-test.properties across all modules.

https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/11634

The file would exist in flink-test-utils-junit/src/main/resources, and
be used for all modules except the kafka connectors and yarn-tests
(because they have some custom requirements).

This would mean the files can no longer go out of sync, utilities can be
shared more easily, and you wouldn't need to add a new properties file
to new modules (or older ones lacking one) during debugging.

Overall I personally quite, but I have heard some concerns about
changing dev routines so I wanted to double-check what people think in
general.

Re: [DISCUSS] Consolidated log4j2-properties file

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
INFO output usually not enough for debugging.

In some cases it may be sufficient, but if you go beyond that then the
dev still has to know to look into one specific module,
bringing us back to square one.

I do think though that a dedicated module for sharing these resources
would actually be fairly straight-forward.

You will always(*except for kafka and yarn-tests) go into this module,
and set it up once at the start of a debugging
session and it will work regardless of which module you move into.

I see this as a clear advantage over the current state.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.