Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2003/06/05 05:12:35 UTC

[math] Add Al Chou as contributor

I think that Al Chou should be added to the list of contributors to
commons-math.  Al has provided useful patches and great suggestions for
improvement and advice on implementation strategies.

Tim/Mark/Robert: if you agree, can one of you update project.xml?  I was
going to submit a patch, but though it better to post to the list.

One more thing: the web site on jakarta.apache.org is a couple of revs
out of date.  My awe at the power of maven wanes a little when I see
that ;-).  Is it just a matter of one of you guys manually firing "maven
site:deploy"   Shouldn't the nightly kick this off?  How does this work
for the other jakarta sites?

Phil

Re: [math] Add Al Chou as contributor

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 22:12, Phil Steitz wrote:
> One more thing: the web site on jakarta.apache.org is a couple of revs
> out of date.  My awe at the power of maven wanes a little when I see
> that ;-).  Is it just a matter of one of you guys manually firing "maven
> site:deploy"

This is part of my daily routine, but my days, of late, have not been
very routine.  I just published the site.

> Shouldn't the nightly kick this off?  How does this work
> for the other jakarta sites?

It should be, but I am not aware of a universal solution for
periodically building a Maven site and deploying it to the site.  The
only other similar effort I see is Jakarta Gump, and I believe that Sam
Ruby generates this via a periodic script.  Either way, I think it is
sufficient for now if someone generates the site manually once a day
because the project reports do provide good feedback.

Either way this issue should be on our radar, and I'm wondering if
MavenNG is something that could help out down the line.  From what I see
on the Wiki, that concept is still developing.

Tim

Posted by Al Chou <ho...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry about the empty post, Yahoo! Mail did something I've never seen before --
asking me to verify that I'm not a machine by recognizing a word against an
obscuring background before letting me compose a message.  Apparently some
error accompanied that and sent the empty message.

--- "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
> > I think that Al Chou should be added to the list of contributors to
> > commons-math.  Al has provided useful patches and great suggestions for
> > improvement and advice on implementation strategies.
> >
> > Tim/Mark/Robert: if you agree, can one of you update project.xml?  I was
> > going to submit a patch, but though it better to post to the list.
>
> Yes, I've now added "Hot Fusion Man" to the project.xml. He should
> possibly provide more "narration" if he likes.

Thanks, Phil and Mark!  I'm honored.

> Speaking of contributions, you seem to be throwing allot of heavy duty
> dev work around via patches, (and being that you wrote the proposal as
> well) maybe its time to consider a nomination for commit rights?

Although my opinion as a newcomer probably carries less weight than the rest of
yours, I'd support that nomination.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou

Re: [math] Add Al Chou as contributor

Posted by Al Chou <ho...@yahoo.com>.
---

=====
Albert Davidson Chou

Re: [math] Add Al Chou as contributor

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> I think that Al Chou should be added to the list of contributors to
> commons-math.  Al has provided useful patches and great suggestions for
> improvement and advice on implementation strategies.
>
> Tim/Mark/Robert: if you agree, can one of you update project.xml?  I was
> going to submit a patch, but though it better to post to the list.

Yes, I've now added "Hot Fusion Man" to the project.xml. He should
possibly provide more "narration" if he likes.

> One more thing: the web site on jakarta.apache.org is a couple of revs
> out of date.  My awe at the power of maven wanes a little when I see
> that ;-).

I'm sure its not the power of Maven at stake here, but more my lack of
understanding when it comes to what one can do within the scope of the
nightly build process. I have seen references in some of the other
commons projects to firing up Maven either from within Ant or Gump.

> Is it just a matter of one of you guys manually firing "maven
> site:deploy"   Shouldn't the nightly kick this off?  How does this work
> for the other jakarta sites?
>
> Phil

Speaking of contributions, you seem to be throwing allot of heavy duty
dev work around via patches, (and being that you wrote the proposal as
well) maybe its time to consider a nomination for commit rights?

-Mark

Re: [math] Add Al Chou as contributor

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 04:12 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:

<snip>

> One more thing: the web site on jakarta.apache.org is a couple of revs
> out of date.  My awe at the power of maven wanes a little when I see that
> ;-).  Is it just a matter of one of you guys manually firing "maven site:
> deploy"   Shouldn't the nightly kick this off?  How does this work for
> the other jakarta sites?

the site is manually deployed but daedelus karma is required.

IIRC the nightly is run on craig's personal machine (and GUMP is run on a
covalent one). there are certain matters of policy and politics about
getting automatic site updates since daedelus (www.apache.org) is run on
surprisingly low spec hardware. i believe that infrastructure is working
on measures to address these problems but it's unlikely that jakarta will
be able to automate until that change is completed.

- robert