Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> on 2014/10/20 05:00:26 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Squiggly 1.1 release candidate 0

Hi,

Please place any discussion here and not in the vote thread.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSSION] Squiggly 1.1 release candidate 0

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I thought we were going to skip votes for release candidates ?

You need to vote on a RC in order to make it a official release, there's no way that Apache policy (for good reasons). Plus I can't see this release having a large number of RCs unless there's something obvious I'm missing as it's relatively simple. I would guess one or two RC as most (fingers crossed), and if we do need another RC it likely votes will carry over.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Having said that, the consensus within the PMC was to first do a few rounds
> of QA without calling a vote for each build.

That's the whole point of CTR (commit then review).

> Justin didn’t agree and as Release Manager, he is free to handle a release
> as he sees fit, however.

It not that I disagreed it's just that:
- I  can't see Squiggly having many RCs, it straight forward and there nothing contentious in there that I'm aware of
- Asking people to QA stuff without a vote doesn't tend to get anywhere (see the previous non voting RC0s I did)

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
There has to be at least one vote in order for something to become a
release.

Having said that, the consensus within the PMC was to first do a few rounds
of QA without calling a vote for each build. That way, if a few people
ironed out the wrinkles first, likely only one round of voting would be
needed. There was even a Board member that chimed in on that discussion and
told us that was the way to go …

Justin didn’t agree and as Release Manager, he is free to handle a release
as he sees fit, however.

EdB

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com> wrote:

> I thought we were going to skip votes for release candidates ?
>
> Tom
>

> On 20/10/14 04:00, Justin Mclean wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please place any discussion here and not in the vote thread.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin

>> For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com

Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSSION] Squiggly 1.1 release candidate 0

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Okay after reviewing your email. I was able to get this to work.  I took
the ApacheSpellingUI.swc out of the src folder, so I only have
ApacheSpellingUIEx.swc in my libs folder.  And I've added the
ApackeFlexLinguisticUtils.swc into my libs folder.  After that everything
works great!

Proposing some changes to the README:

* Clarify that if ApacheSpellingUI.swc is needed to leverage the speller
for mx components, then include it into the libs folder rather than the src
folder as it says now.
* Add that you will need both the ApacheSpellingFramework.swc and
ApacheFlexLinguisticUtils.swc in your libs folder.

The final issue of the context menu not attaching was due to the missing
ApacheFlexLinguisticUtils.swc file in the libs folder.

Thanks Justin for the info!  That got me right past the issues.  If the
above is cool by everyone, I can make the adjustments to the README.

Chris

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I went through the RC.  Checked in a bunch of spelling errors in SWC
> names, README, RELEASE_NOTES.  IMO, it wouldn’t be right to release a
> Spell Checker with spelling errors in the supporting documentation ;-).

We released 1.0 with similar "issues". You could think of it as data to test :-)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I went through the RC.  Checked in a bunch of spelling errors in SWC
names, README, RELEASE_NOTES.  IMO, it wouldn’t be right to release a
Spell Checker with spelling errors in the supporting documentation ;-).

Everything else (LICENSE, NOTICE, build, RAT) all looks fine so I would
likely vote to approve the next RC.

-Alex

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.
Heyo,

Trying to test this out in a simple app.  I use the same code as above, and
I got the following error:

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class
com.adobe.linguistics.spelling.framework.ui::IHighlighter could not be
found.
 at SquigglyTest/btnCheck_clickHandler()[C:\Users\cmartin\Documents\Adobe
Flash Builder 4.7 flex-sdk\SquigglyTest\src\SquigglyTest.mxml:18]
 at SquigglyTest/__btnCheck_click()[C:\Users\cmartin\Documents\Adobe Flash
Builder 4.7 flex-sdk\SquigglyTest\src\SquigglyTest.mxml:34]

After including the ApacheFlexSpellingFramework.swc in my lib I got past
that error. Maybe we need to add that into the README?

After clicking on "Check Spark" nothing happens.  Looked through via debug
and it seems that the context menu is not ultimately getting added
(SpellUI.as@510) so the _spellingEnabled is never set to true.

Now, what's really odd (and probably means developer environment error), is
that when I try to debug at line 510, it appears to "skip" over the line.
No error caught in the try catch, and the execution does not drop into the
addContextMenu function as expected.

I suspect, I ultimately need to get my flashplayer version references in
line.  Right now i'm running FP 15, with the build files for the squiggly
swcs referencing the globalplayer.swc for FP14, and my flex-sdk home is
still set to Flex 4.12.1 which matches the SDK i'm using in the project and
that is expecting at least FP 12.0.  I'll try to take another look at this
later today to see if I can test a good test of the project.

Any feedback if I'm going in the right direction would be cool too.  I'm
still new to compiling/using libraries in my projects.

Chris

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,