Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2020/05/10 16:43:29 UTC

Have a README.TXT file in release package

Hi,

We often get questions from people not reading the basic documentation. Like not able to run Gradle because ignoring init-gradle-wrapper scripts.

I know there will always people not reading the documentation. But maybe, to prevent most obvious questions and tempting RTFM answers, we could add a
small README.TXT with basic information in OFBiz root.

It would ultimately refer to README.adoc. Also saying that README.adoc can be read with a text reader tool. And it's easy to follow
https://asciidoctor.org/docs/convert-documents/#converting-a-document-to-html

What do you think?

Jacques

Re: Have a README.TXT file in release package

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Pierre, All,

I have backported the new INSTALL file in R17 and R18 and closed OFBIZ-11691

Pierre, I suggest you create a Jira for your propositions below. Because moving these scripts has implication in their content (code)

Thanks

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Indeed.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Thanks Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Call it INSTALLATION, and simply highlight what is necessary to get OFBiz
running:
Have jdk, version 8
invoke the gradle-init script

I concur with Michael, people who don't read the readme.adoc will possibly
forgo the other readme too.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Deepak Nigam <de...@gmail.com>.