Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by jan_bar <he...@yahoo.com> on 2006/10/02 10:34:15 UTC

Files in repo that are ignored during check in

Hi,

I think that this is a commong request. There are files that are developer
specific. Those files should not be checked into repostitory, so they are
svn:ignored. However those files can be important to some process for
instance for build/deploy. It would be nice if I can check in a template for
those files. New developers will get them out, modify, but because they are
ignored, they will not be checked in. It means there should be some special
command that will check them in (in template form) by project administrator.
The solution seems to be to create a teplate file,
user-specific-file-template.txt, write inside something like "customize and
rename to user-specific-file.txt" and set ignore on user-specific-file.txt.

How do you manage this?

Thanks Jan

Re: Files in repo that are ignored during check in

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/06, jan_bar <he...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think that this is a commong request. There are files that are developer
> specific. Those files should not be checked into repostitory, so they are
> svn:ignored. However those files can be important to some process for
> instance for build/deploy. It would be nice if I can check in a template
> for
> those files. New developers will get them out, modify, but because they
> are
> ignored, they will not be checked in. It means there should be some
> special
> command that will check them in (in template form) by project
> administrator.
> The solution seems to be to create a teplate file,
> user-specific-file-template.txt, write inside something like "customize
> and
> rename to user-specific-file.txt" and set ignore on user-specific-file.txt
> .
>
> How do you manage this?

I would modify the build tool or build a wrapper script to look for
file-user-specific.txt and if it doesn't exist, copy file-template.txt and
copy to file-user-specific.txt.

I don't think this is a vcs problem.

Re: Files in repo that are ignored during check in

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ignore-commit