Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/02 23:14:26 UTC

How to decide proper cache size at load testing?

I read that at wiki:

Sometimes a smaller cache size will help avoid full garbage collections at
the cost of more evictions. Load testing should be used to help determine
proper cache sizes throughout the searching/indexing lifecycle.

Could anybody give me an example scenario of how can I make a test, what
should I do and find a proper cache size at load testing?

Re: How to decide proper cache size at load testing?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
You simply need to monitor and adjust. Both during testing and in
production because search patterns change over time. Hook up alerting to it
to get notified of high evictions and low cache hit rate so you don't have
to actively look at stats all day.

Here is the graph of Query Cache metrics for http://search-lucene.com/ for
example:

https://apps.sematext.com/spm-reports/s.do?k=eDcirzHG7i