Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1996/06/01 23:24:50 UTC

Re: Threaded server on Solaris...

On Fri, 31 May 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > (To make sure everyone knows where I'm coming from with this, I might
> > as well remind people that to me, at least, the ultimate payoff for
> > this sort of approach has less to do with performance benefits of
> > threading per se, than with gracefully supporting future versions of
> > HTTP in which a single connection can have multiple transactions in
> > progress simultaneously, multiplexed via some kind of session layer
> > --- *without* having to turn the entire server inside-out).
>
> Don't forget the other benefit ... stacking modules without turning them inside
> out.

And yet more - being able to support not only a huge number of
simultaneous connections (i.e., imagine an image server with 10 megabyte
TIFFs available for download to press people with 28.8 or ISDN modems
at best for an event with a very high pofile), and also being able to
very efficiently accomodate large modules like language interpreters or
database interfaces without needing to double the amount of RAM you need
on your system.

I'll give the threaded version a smoke test on BSDI and Solaris this
weekend.  Got to finally solve the imap problems first though (!)

	Brian

brian@organic.com  |  We're hiring!  http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/