Posted to user@shale.apache.org by Steven Oglesby <st...@coexis.com> on 2006/09/29 17:01:25 UTC

Shale-Tiles and JSF 1.2

I originally posted a message because I could not get this working. However,
it does not seem to have ever reached the mailing list.

I have now solved my problem. The TilesViewHandler does not seem to handle
the JSF 1.2 spec. It does not fulfil the requirements of wrapping and
buffering the response. This has been introduced in the JSF 1.2 spec in
order to solve the JSF / JSP content interweaving problems.

My (rather inelegant) solution is to have copied the renderView method
implementation (and all the subsequent methods it calls) from the
ViewHandlerImpl class of the Sun RI of JSF 1.2. I have then made the
necessary changes so that the executePageToBuildView method dispatches to
the tile rather than the original viewId that was asked for.

If I can come up with a more elegant solution I will attempt to contribute
it to the project. Otherwise I hope this may be of some assistance.

Steven

Re: Shale-Tiles and JSF 1.2

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 9/29/06, Steven Oglesby <st...@coexis.com> wrote:

> I originally posted a message because I could not get this working.
> However,
> it does not seem to have ever reached the mailing list.
>

> I have now solved my problem. The TilesViewHandler does not seem to handle
> the JSF 1.2 spec. It does not fulfil the requirements of wrapping and
> buffering the response. This has been introduced in the JSF 1.2 spec in
> order to solve the JSF / JSP content interweaving problems.
>

> My (rather inelegant) solution is to have copied the renderView method
> implementation (and all the subsequent methods it calls) from the
> ViewHandlerImpl class of the Sun RI of JSF 1.2. I have then made the
> necessary changes so that the executePageToBuildView method dispatches to
> the tile rather than the original viewId that was asked for.
>

> If I can come up with a more elegant solution I will attempt to contribute
> it to the project. Otherwise I hope this may be of some assistance.

Thanks a bunch for doing this research.  To make sure we get it addressed,
could you please file a bug in our issue tracking system (
http://issues.apache.org/struts) against the Tiles component of Shale, and
report your findings there?

Craig

Steven