Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jorge Suárez de Lis <yo...@jorgesuarezdelis.name> on 2012/11/28 18:26:44 UTC

Ubuntu 12.04 guest having problems with additional disks

Hello,

I'm trying to add an additional volume to a Ubuntu 12.04 guest on
Cloudstack 2.2.13 and I'm having some trouble getting it to work.
Cloudstack shouts no errors at all, everything seems fine outside the
virtualization.

I can create new virtual machines with a Ubuntu 10.04 template without any
problem, but every virtual machine created with the Ubuntu 12.04 template
has no access to additional disks.

Both 10.04 and 12.04 templates have been built by me.

Please notice that the disks are recognized as vda, vdb... on 10.04 but the
root disk is recognized as sda on 12.04. I can't see a thing on dmesg. It's
like the disk doesn't exist at all.

I'd appreciate some advice on this. How can I proceed now?

Thank you.

--
Jorge Suárez de Lis <yo...@jorgesuarezdelis.name>
http://jorgesuarezdelis.name/

[Solved] Re: Ubuntu 12.04 guest having problems with additional disks

Posted by Jorge Suárez de Lis <yo...@jorgesuarezdelis.name>.
The disks were not being added to the qemu xmls, so this was clearly not
the guest fault.
As suggested on Administration Guide: "Note: Generally you should not
choose an older version of the OS than the version in the image. For
example, choosing CentOS 5.3 to support a CentOS 5.4 image will in general
not work. In those cases you should choose Other."

Well, this doesn't seem to fall inside that "generally". Following that
advice, i choosed "Other Ubuntu (64 bit)", but for Ubuntu 12.04 - 64 bit,
you must choose "Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit)" or additional disks will not work.
Everything else seems to be running fine this way. I'll post back If I find
any caveats on this.

Posted by Jorge Suárez de Lis <yo...@jorgesuarezdelis.name>.

Posted by Marc Cirauqui <mc...@gmail.com>.
I'm guessing KVM hypervisor? If so, I had this problem and was related to
some libvirt cache, I had to reboot the VM in order to be able to use the
disk. Well not reboot, stop and start actually.