Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2007/04/17 03:06:43 UTC

Fwd: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon US 2007

The one valid use of cross-posting...

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon US 2007

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Sorry to be late to this game, but I already submitted two talks, one
a longer tutorial on Flare, and one a regular session on Flare.  I'd
be happy to pair up with Eric Pugh.... as long as I get airfare and
hotel covered I'm happy to go.

	Erik

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I was thinking about doing something on this as well.  Is there
: enough room for multiple presentations?   Can two people do a
: presentation?  Chris, would you be interested in co-presenting?

I think there is definitely room for more then one presentation, and since
Flare seems really cool with a lot of meat in it and my knowledge of it is
fairly lacking anyway it would be great if you could spend a full session
on a Flare Case Study.

-Hoss

Re: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon US 2007

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
Hi all,

Erik Hatcher has shown me some of the abilities of Flare, I've been
digging into it for a jobby job project, and I've done my first small
Solr project which was adding PDF, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
parsing in the vein of the CSVRequestHandler code.  (Patches to be
forthcoming!)

I was thinking about doing something on this as well.  Is there
enough room for multiple presentations?   Can two people do a
presentation?  Chris, would you be interested in co-presenting?

I've mostly been on the outside of the Lucene community, be much more
active in some of the Jakarta projects, and then seduced away by Ruby
for the past 18 months, but the possibilities of Solr and Flare have
had me interested in getting involved in Apache again.

Eric Pugh

On Apr 23, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : Is anyone willing to submit an introductory talk on Solr?
>
> I was thinking about submitting two talks...
>
>   Novice:   "Solr Out of the Box"
>   Advanced: "Solr Beyond the Box"
>
> The first being an attempt at showcasing all of the features of Solr
> available without writing any code (just configuration and maybe some
> XSLT) ... loading data from CSV, dismax query parsing, facets,
> highlighting, date math, json output, etc., and any other cool
> features
> that get committed between now and then.  I'll roabbly also talk about
> Flare (but that would mean needing to learn about Flare before
> November)
>
> The second would look at examples of how Solr can be customized
> without
> building the whole thing from scratch ... writing custom plugins, and
> embedding Solr in other applications.  (the custom plugins part i
> think i
> can cover pretty well, but i'll need to pick the brains of people
> *doing*
> Solr embedding for the second half if the proposal is accepted)
>

> What do you guys think?
>

> -Hoss

Principal
OpenSource Connections
Site: http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Blog: http://blog.opensourceconnections.com
Cell: 1-434-466-1467

Re: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon US 2007

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 4/23/07, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> ...I was thinking about submitting two talks...
>
>   Novice:   "Solr Out of the Box"
>   Advanced: "Solr Beyond the Box"...

Sounds good, and looking at Solr from these two angles certainly makes sense!

-Bertrand

Re: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon US 2007

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 4/17/07, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:

> > ...The Call for Papers is now open for ApacheCon US, to be held
> > November 12-16 at the Peachtree Westin, Atlanta...

Is anyone willing to submit an introductory talk on Solr?

I could do it if needed, but I'd prefer someone else doing it, as it
looks like my involvement with Solr will be low in the next few
months.

Note that the deadline for talk submissions is next Monday, April 30th
(and not 23rd as currently mentioned on http://www.us.apachecon.com/,
just confirmed this with the conference planners).

-Bertrand