Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jérôme Verstrynge <jv...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/14 19:31:00 UTC

Small error in (excellent) manual at: http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.6/cygwin.html

Hi, I am a newbie to HBase.

I am following the instructions to install Hbase at
http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.6/cygwin.html. I have noticed a small
error.

In the Java confirguration section, the tutorial says one should create
a link with:

LN -s /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Java//<jre name> //usr/local//<jre name>/

But it should be

LN -s /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Java//<jre name> //usr/java//<jre name>/

(one could also recommend creating the java dir in /usr before making
the link)

Otherwise, one will get an error message like the one reported at:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hbase-dev/201006.mbox/%3CB6D7B6DE449144409272440146381EE72E307B2F70@TENK7MVG.prod.travp.net%3E
when running start-hbase.sh.

My 2 cents,

JVerstry

RE: Small error in (excellent) manual at: http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.6/cygwin.html

Posted by Mark Laffoon <ml...@semanticresearch.com>.
One problem I had is that the output of the ZKServerTool as used in
zookeepers.sh has to be piped through dos2unix. I have a little hack
script that fixes this for me:

  sed -ie "s/ZKServerTool\`/ZKServerTool | dos2unix\`/g"
"$HBASE_HOME/bin/zookeepers.sh"

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com>.
I was fighting with the same error, so here what the possible problems could
be

   - hbase is not running;
   - hbase started but stopped because it could not connect to hdfs.

Mark

Posted by Jérôme Verstrynge <jv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <sa...@gmail.com>.