Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Ju...@continental-corporation.com on 2016/09/29 08:12:32 UTC

S3 Storage Plugin not working for Signature V4 regions

Hello,

I am trying to configure the storage plugin for Amazon S3 to use it with
Apache Drill version 1.7.0.
I would like to connect to an S3 bucket in eu-central-1 region which is
only supporting signature V4.

I did lot's of tests and configurations and I cannot get it running. I
always get the response "Bad request", "Error Code:400".

Even by setting the parameter

<property>
  <name>fs.s3a.endpoint</name>
  <value>s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com</value>
</property>

in the core-site.xml of Apache Drill install directory I get the "bad
request" response.

I could successfully connect to buckets in different regions supporting V2
and V4 signature, but I cannot connect to buckets in regions only
supporting signature V4 (ap-northeast-2 and eu-central-1)

Thanks for your help,
Juergen

Re: S3 Storage Plugin not working for Signature V4 regions

Posted by Uwe Korn <uw...@xhochy.com>.
Hello,

this could probably be that problem that the AWS SDK coming with the drill version is quite old. I’m doing some tests currently with Drill 1.8 + a custom Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 version that was patched to use the latest AWS SDK. That should not only give you access to V4 regions but it also improved the query performance of Drill+Parquet+S3 by magnitudes for me (that was simply down to some changes in the s3a:// implementation in Hadoop).

Not sure if there is another way to easily upgrade the used AWS SDK without going the path of a custom Hadoop build but maybe someone else could help here.

Cheers
Uwe