Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/22 12:11:25 UTC

[UX] Design Exploration - AOO 4.0 Sidebar Specific Content Panel Design

Hi all,

We are working on the AOO 4.0 sidebar design. Based on the option 10 we
have published, we are working on the detail panel. During the design work,
we according to two principles:

1. Icon style of sidebar in AOO 4.0. From UX point of view, to avoid the
usability issues,  we need to make sure the same icon for the same function
in AOO and all the icons have the same visual style. So we need to use AOO
icons in sidebar. For the buttons which did not have AOO icons, we will use
Symphony icons.

2. UI controls in A00 4.0. I think we should choose the one has more
user-friendly interaction behavior. As you know, Symphony did lots of
improvements based on the original Open Office, so I believe the current
behavior in Symphony is more reasonable choice for us, like Number Bullet,
Line Style...And again, we should pursue the same behavior for the same
control in one software, if we choose the Symphony behavior, we should
apply it to all areas, such as toolbar, property dialog... At least we need
to keep the first level UI elements on controls of sidebar and toolbar
consistent for 4.0.

Based on the two point above, we create the detail panel design. Please
find the UX wiki to see the detail panel design by the link:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_UX_Design_Exploration_-_Task_Pane_Content_Panel_-_User_Interface_Design_Proposals#Sidebar_Content_Panel_-_UX_Design_propoals

Welcome to share your thoughts. Thanks.

--
Best regards,
Xin Li   李欣

Re: [UX] Design Exploration - AOO 4.0 Sidebar Specific Content Panel Design

Posted by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com>.
Hi  all ,

We have updated a new version of design proposal after redefining some
detail issues. Please find the design proposal by the link:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_UX_Design_Exploration_-_Task_Pane_Content_Panel_-_User_Interface_Design_Proposals#Sidebar_Content_Panel_-_UX_Design_propoals

Thanks.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

The sidebar design proposal for AOO 4.0 has been uploaded to AOO UX wiki:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_UX_Design_Exploration_-_Task_Pane_Content_Panel_-_User_Interface_Design_Proposals#Sidebar_Content_Panel_-_UX_Design_propoals

We have three parts:

1. Overview visual information definition.
   Including the gradient color, the background color, the border line, the
font color, the font size and so on.

2. 27 specific panel design of Sidebar Properties Deck.

3. Controls consistent issues proposal : Contrast 13 controls that will
show both on sidebar and toolbar.

Your comments and feedback are strongly welcomed. Thanks.

Posted by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrea,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.