Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by David Nesbitt <dn...@vuetechnology.com> on 2006/08/04 06:35:53 UTC

Font Metrics for Adobe Acrobat Asian Font Pack

Does anyone know how to create FOP font metrics for the Adobe Acrobat
Asian font pack?  I would like to support Japanese documents without
having to embed the Microsoft TrueType fonts in the PDF file.

Alternatively, does anyone have a font metrics file they can send to me?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Font Metrics for Adobe Acrobat Asian Font Pack

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 07.08.2006 21:46:48 David Nesbitt wrote:
> Jeremias
>
> > There are currently some talks about fonts. You may want to look into
> > the fop-dev mailing list. All the details can be found there. Whether
> > OpenType fonts with CFF glyphs (like the ones from the font pack) are
> > going to be implemented is not clear right now. Implementing CFF would
>
> > probably not be a large thing but the fact that we're planning on
> > adopting an external font library might complicate things a bit.
>
> Thanks.  I will check the fop-dev list.
>
> I think it would be really important to support the Adobe OpenType font
> pack for Asian languages, since it would allow for complete open source
> support of Asian languages without requiring any font embedding or
> proprietary font licensing.

Not so sure about that. Look at the licensing info:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontpackthanks.html?hasjavascript=0&Version=Adobe+Reader+7.0x&Language=Japanese&Platform=Linux+x86

Quote:
"Note: The font software contained in this package is being licensed to
you solely for use with Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® software ("Acrobat
Reader") and is subject to the terms and conditions of the electronic
End-User License Agreement accompanying Acrobat Reader."

> I don't have any working knowledge of OpenType fonts or CFF glyphs, but
> I am willing to help out with any implementation task if I can be of use
> to get this done.

Well, you can do it as we do: Read the specifications and try to
implement them. We learn about fonts as we go.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Font Metrics for Adobe Acrobat Asian Font Pack

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

On 04.08.2006 19:40:43 David Nesbitt wrote:
> Jeremias,
>
> Are there any plans to support OpenType fonts in FOP?  Do you know what
> the scope of the effort would be?
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Font Metrics for Adobe Acrobat Asian Font Pack

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
If you mean the Japanese font pack for Acrobat 7, those are OpenType
fonts which are currently not supported by FOP.

On 04.08.2006 06:35:53 David Nesbitt wrote:
> Does anyone know how to create FOP font metrics for the Adobe Acrobat
> Asian font pack?  I would like to support Japanese documents without
> having to embed the Microsoft TrueType fonts in the PDF file.
>
> Alternatively, does anyone have a font metrics file they can send to me?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Jeremias Maerki