Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/31 08:31:19 UTC

Releasing current master as Pulsar 2.11.0 ?

Hello Pulsar fellows,

I think that too much time passed since we wanted to cut 2.11.

The branch-2.11 contains some code used by no one.

In the meantime many features went into master branch,

I don't think that it is worth it to cut a release from branch-2.11
and start with something that is already stale.

I propose to drop branch-2.11 and create a new branch out of the
current master branch and start the period of hardening before cutting
the release.

IIUC we are waiting for this BookKeeper issue to be confirmed or fixed
or closed as "not a problem":
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/issues/3466
I am personally working on that case together with the folks you
created the issue.
Honestly I have never been able to reproduce the problem with Pulsar.
I believe that it will take at least another week before having more
results about the investigations I am doing on BK. The problem is
reproducible only on a long-running test (more than 4 hours) of a
third party project and only in some private QA environment.

Thoughts ?

Enrico

Re: Releasing current master as Pulsar 2.11.0 ?

Posted by guo jiwei <te...@apache.org>.
Hi,
When verifying the release, we found that there is a problem with the
connector.
We are looking for the cause and will continue to release it after it is
fixed.

Regards
Jiwei Guo (Tboy)

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by guo jiwei <te...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by guo jiwei <te...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com>.
My two cents,

I think we should go forward with the current branch. All the cherry picks
were done in a thoughtful way.

My assumption is that if we go down recutting the branch from the current
master, it will take at least a couple of weeks to get it in a stable
condition. Other than that, there’s still the time needed for rc, vote, and
so on.

From my understanding now the current branch is ready for an rc since we

--
Nicolò Boschi

Re: Releasing current master as Pulsar 2.11.0 ?

Posted by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
Hi Enrico,

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hang Chen <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by guo jiwei <te...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Inline

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 3, 2022, at 6:55 AM, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> PengHui,
>
>> Il giorno mar 1 nov 2022 alle ore 07:51 PengHui Li
>> <pe...@apache.org> ha scritto:
>>
>>> As it is, we already need to discuss EOL for 2.7 and 2.8.
>>
>> Agree. We should clarify this one.
>> I think we can stop to provide new releases for 2.7
>> and only security or critical bugs for 2.8 (one more official release)
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/15966 will make the
>> release strategy clear.
>>
>> LTS -> 36 months (24 + 12)
>> Feature release -> 6 months (3+3)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Penghui
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 2:15 PM Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am concerned that we have too many active release branches, and planning
>>> to follow 2.11.0 with 3.0.0 soon after feels like it will make that problem
>>> worse. As it is, we already need to discuss EOL for 2.7 and 2.8.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michael

> I am not sure.
> I don't know if anyone is actively testing the 2.11 branch more than
> the master branch.
> On my side the (automated) testing that I do with my colleagues on
> branch-2.11 is basically the same as for the master branch.
>
> I believe that if we want to cut a 2.11 release that is not branched
> again from the master branch
> we really must start the release as soon as BK 4.15.3 is released

I understand that Bookkeeper issues have Ben what’s blocking 2.11

> Many people contributed features to the master branch that cannot be
> shipped with 2.11 because
> they are considered "breaking changes".
> But 2.11 was supposed to be released in August, more than 3 months ago.

I think we can recognize that our past history has been that there are often 3 or 4 RCs for our 2.x.0 releases.

Maybe we should be cherry picking some PRs on master to 2.11 before we start the process? It may or may not save an RC but it will give us time to be realistic about a reasonable cadence from 2.10.x to 2.11.x to 2.12.x … it’s hard to support many versions at once. The CVE announced today took months to be included in all of our current releases from 2.7.5 to 2.10.2. Separation of C++ and Pulsar client releases from Pulsar releases helps here, but it may not with the next security issue.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
PengHui,