Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Asanka Sanjaya Herath <an...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/03 07:45:08 UTC

Stratos is not setting user meta data to instances created in GCE

Hi All,

I did some debugging on $subject and I found that there is a problem in
GCEIaas.java class located in cloud controller component. In line
184, iaasInfo.getPayload()  is always has a null value. So the
method setDynamicPayload() will return immediately without setting user
metadata to the instance. But I can see that the payload object has some
values. So is that null check on line 184 is required? Any help is
appreciated.

ASH

Re: Stratos is not setting user meta data to instances created in GCE

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
A great finding Asanka! Did we fix this for 4.1.0-RC3?

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Asanka Sanjaya Herath <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> OK. I'll send a pull request.
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Gayan Gunarathne <ga...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Great. We need to fix this in the master branch. Can you please send a PR
>> for this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gayan
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Asanka Sanjaya Herath <angal.sh@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I removed the null check and tested again. Now I can see the metadata
>>> has set to the instance from the developers console. I have attached a
>>> screenshot here. Thanks for the help.

>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards,

--
Imesh Gunaratne

Senior Technical Lead, WSO2

Posted by Asanka Sanjaya Herath <an...@gmail.com>.
OK. I'll send a pull request.

Posted by Gayan Gunarathne <ga...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Asanka Sanjaya Herath <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I removed the null check and tested again. Now I can see the metadata has
set to the instance from the developers console. I have attached a
screenshot here. Thanks for the help.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 7:02 AM, Gayan Gunarathne <ga...@wso2.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Did a quick check, seems the method [1] of IaaSConfig class is not
>> getting called from anywhere. The payload field in IaaSProvider is
>> populated using the same field in IaaSConfig.
>>

> Yeah.We are comparing wrong payload in the if condition.
>

>> @ Asanka: Can you remove the null check [2] and re-test.
>>
>> [1].    setPayload(byte[] payload)
>> [2].    iaasInfo.getPayload() == null
>>

> Thanks,
> Gayan
>

>> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Asanka Sanjaya Herath <
>> angal.sh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Isuru and Gayan,
>>>
>>> I'll follow the steps you mentioned and update the thread ASAP.

>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards,

Posted by Gayan Gunarathne <ga...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Asanka Sanjaya Herath <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Isuru and Gayan,
>
> I'll follow the steps you mentioned and update the thread ASAP.
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:00 AM, Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Asanka,
>>
>> Great work in finding this!
>>
>> Can you check what are the values that are coming in the payload for the
>> setDynamicPayload function?
>>
>> In both EC2IaaS and OpenStackIaaS this check is not there. Can you test
>> removing 'iaasInfo.getPayload() == null' check?
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Asanka Sanjaya Herath <
>> angal.sh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I did some debugging on $subject and I found that there is a problem in
>>> GCEIaas.java class located in cloud controller component. In line
>>> 184, iaasInfo.getPayload()  is always has a null value. So the
>>> method setDynamicPayload() will return immediately without setting user
>>> metadata to the instance. But I can see that the payload object has some
>>> values. So is that null check on line 184 is required? Any help is
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards,

Posted by Asanka Sanjaya Herath <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Isuru and Gayan,

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>.
Hi Asanka,

Posted by Gayan Gunarathne <ga...@wso2.com>.
Hi Asanka,

Can you please check why iaasInfo.getPayload() has a null value? Seems
there is a issue with the payload generation. You can check this by adding
the debug points to the createPayload method in the AS ApplicationUtils
class or enabling the debug logs in the AS?

Thanks,
Gayan