Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by astrograph <as...@gmx.net> on 2004/04/02 10:17:18 UTC

http://wiki.apache.org/james/Embedded

hi,

I intend to embed my James application in JBoss, when following 1.2 in
http://wiki.apache.org/james/Embedded it seems that Phoenix has to be
installed like in 1.1.2? Or am I missing something?

wbr

Philipp

RE: http://wiki.apache.org/james/Embedded

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I intend to embed my James application in JBoss, when following 1.2 in
> http://wiki.apache.org/james/Embedded it seems that Phoenix has to be
> installed like in 1.1.2? Or am I missing something?

FYI, the Wiki pages are unofficial documentation.  They may be working
notes, they are often pages contributed and modified by users such as
yourself to share techniques, as is the case with the Embedded page.

Knowing who contributed them, I am confident that the instructions on that
page used to work.  If you find things that need to be changed to reflect
current code, please feel free to document what people need to do.

	--- Noel

Re: http://wiki.apache.org/james/Embedded

Posted by astrograph <as...@gmx.net>.
ok, I worked out part of my problem...

the file location is not correct %JBOSS_HOME%\phoenix\conf\kernel.xml
because when following "1.2. Binary Way" the file is located e.g. at:
%JBOSS_HOME%\james-2.2.0a17\conf\kernel.xml

there seems to be a discrepancy in "1.2. Binary Way", first there is
mentionend, that one should install the binary distribution in
%JBOSS_HOME%.. further down there are the commands:

    copy %JAMES_HOME%\bin\phoenix-loader.jar
%JBOSS_HOME%\server\default\deploy
    copy phoenix-service.xml %JBOSS_HOME%\server\default\deploy
    copy JMXLauncher.jar %JBOSS_HOME%/server/default/deploy

but in the phoenix-service.xml file relative paths are given to the
James installation directory in the following way:

<attribute name="PhoenixHome">../james-2.2.0a17/</attribute>
<attribute
name="PhoenixConfigFile">../james-2.2.0a17/conf/kernel.xml</attribute>
<attribute name="AppsPath">..james-2.2.0a17/apps/</attribute>
<attribute
name="LogFilename">../james-2.2.0a17/logs/phoenix.log/</attribute>
<attribute name="PhoenixDebug">false</attribute>

which obviously do not point to
%JBOSS_HOME%/james-2.2.0a17 but to
%JBOSS_HOME%/server/default/james-2.2.0a17 ???

so, should the %JBOSS_HOME% path include the /server/default/
directories or not???

anyway - I installed James in
C:\someDirectory\jboss\server\default\james-2.2.0a17

With the given phoenix-service.xml I had another problem. Somehow the
jars were not found... I commented the classpath element, and put the
JMXLauncher.jar and the phoenix-loader.jar in the %JBOSS_HOME%/lib
directory and now the Phoenix:Launcher service is started (it is visible
in the JMX console).

After placing logkit-1.2.jar, james.jar, excalibur-io-1.1.jar,  and
excalibur-i18n-1.0.jar in JBoss´s lib directory (why should it work
without these libraries in JBoss classpath?) James is started, but then
fails with following exception:

ERROR   2004-04-02 13:35:29.073 [Phoenix.] (): There was an error
running phase "startup" for Block named "thread-manager". (Reason:
Component named "thread-manager" failed to pass through the Creation
stage. (Reason: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/james/util/thread/DefaultThreadPool).).
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
Component named "thread-manager" failed to pass through the Creation
stage. (Reason: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/james/util/thread/DefaultThreadPool)..

hmm, why doesn´t fin Phoenix the
org/apache/james/util/thread/DefaultThreadPool class? It is in
James.jar, which tried to put into James lib directory (it is already in
the JBoss lib directory...).

BTW: how about embedding James in a different App Server, any ideas
about Oracle Application Server (IAS)???

cheers,

Philipp