Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org> on 2013/03/27 20:07:19 UTC

[VOTE] S4 0.6.0 Incubating Release Candidate 3

Hi everyone,

this is a call for a vote to release Apache S4 0.6.0 incubating.

A vote was held on developer mailing list and it passed for RC3 with 6+1's with 5 of them binding:

+1 IPMC (phunt)
+1PPMC (mmorel, kishoreg, leoneu, fpj)
+1 committer non PPMC (dferro)

Here is the vote thread on s4-dev: http://markmail.org/thread/n5totrx7jkh2nvzu

This release fixes the following issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12312322&version=12321702

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for convenience.

Source and binary packages in zip format:

http://people.apache.org/~mmorel/s4-0.6.0-incubating-release-candidate-3/

The (git) tag to be voted upon: 0.6.0-RC3:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-s4.git;a=tag;h=9b178170d76333579a9c56564dd060ccd173f115

S4 KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/s4/dist/KEYS

We include a RAT check task. It requires to get
- the .rat-excludes from the repository (https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-s4.git;a=blob;f=.rat-excludes;h=fda230011164a53bd3089f9086c884918e0ea292;hb=refs/heads/dev)
- the rat jar from the repository
It can be run with :
./gradlew rat > output

Please cast your vote, thanks!

Vote will be open for 72 hours
 [ ] +1 approve
 [ ] +0 no opinion
 [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Matthieu

Re: [VOTE] S4 0.6.0 Incubating Release Candidate 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28 March 2013 07:40, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> gradle/gradlew scripts to not have the ASL header because this is generated code.
>>>
>>> According to the RAT tool, generated code does not need to bear the license header.
>>
>> The RAT tool is just a tool, it does not make the rules.
>>
>>> This issue was identified and discussed during the voting process on s4-dev mailing lis. For this release, it was considered valid to leave those generated files not annotated by one of our mentors.
>>>

>> That may not have been the correct decision.
>>

> Hi Sebb, I had originally -1'd the release due to the missing header
> on these generated files. I was going by my understanding of Apache
> guidelines, in particular
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-license-headers
> and I generally follow that first paragraph - where ever possible add
> the header.
>
> I changed my vote based on the RAT output and then consulting the
> second paragraph in that "on license headers" section linked above, in
> particular "Copyright may not subsist in a document which is generated
> by an transformation from an original."
>
> What's the correct decision here?

If in doubt, add the AL header.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org> wrote:

Hey there, just back from vacation, hopefully Sebb can weigh in but
here's my thinking:

> We have 2 key questions, which I reproduce below:
>
> 1/ about the content of LICENSE and NOTICE, is the following correct?
>
> - in the LICENSE file of the binary distribution, in addition to references to non-ASL included dependencies (already there), we need to reference all included dependencies that use ASL2, with the following statement:  "The Apache License, Version 2.0 applies to the following libraries: A, B, C"
> - in the NOTICE file of the binary distribution, we add notices that dependency libraries explicitly ask for. That is already done and no change is required.

Have you reviewed this section of the release guide?
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license

Also the license howto was recently updated, a good test of the work done there:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html (see also:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-155)

> 2/  about the inclusion of the gradle wrapper jar + script in the source distribution:
>
> We currently use gradle for building the project. Gradle provides a basic wrapper script so that the project can be built without installing gradle beforehand. That is why we include the script + wrapper lib.  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#build-tools says that specific [build] tools have been OK'ed for inclusion in Apache distribution when used for that specific purpose [of building].
>
> Should we exclude the gradle wrapper from our distribution?

I don't see any prior LEGAL issue mentioning gradle:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20LEGAL%20AND%20text%20~%20gradle

however a number of other projects seem to depend on it, you should
check what they are doing:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22gradle%22

Once you go through that process cut another RC and we'll see.

Regards,

Patrick

> [...]
>>>
>>> The RAT tool is just a tool, it does not make the rules.

>>> That may not have been the correct decision.
>>
>> As you commented to Patrick, there is doubt, so indeed better to add the header.

>>> In that case, the wording is wrong; it should say "includes", not "uses".
>>
>> OK.
>>

>>> I've now had a look at the binary lib/ directory, and there are a lot
>>> of 3rd party (non-ASF) jars there that don't appear to be mentioned in
>>> the LICENSE file.
>>> Even if they use AL 2.0, they need to be mentioned, but of course the
>>> AL 2.0 text does not need to be repeated.
>>

>> OK, so let me recap in order to make sure what we need:
>> - in the LICENSE file of the binary distribution, in addition to references to non-ASL included dependencies (already there), we need to reference all included dependencies that use ASL2, with the following statement:  "The Apache License, Version 2.0 applies to the following libraries: A, B, C"
>> - in the NOTICE file of the binary distribution, we add notices that dependency libraries explicitely ask for. That is already done and no change is required.
>>
>> Can you confirm?
>>

>>> It's helpful to include the version of the jar that is being included,
>>> because it can change between versions.
>>>
>>> The binary archive does not include gradlew.bat - is that intentional?
>>
>> Kind of, we don't test on windows.

>>> That's good.
>>>
>>> But not so good are the names; one is LICENSE and the other is NOTICE.txt.
>>> The should both have a .txt extension or neither.
>>
>> OK, I didn't know that was a rule.
>>

>>> Also the source archive contains the 3rd party library
>>>
>>> lib/gradle-wrapper-1.4.jar
>>>
>>> This is not mentioned in the LICENSE file (nor NOTICE.txt, but that
>>> may not be required).
>>>
>>> It seems strange to have a jar in a source library.
>>> Maybe that is a mistake, but if it is supposed to be there it needs to
>>> be reflected in the N&L files
>>
>> We currently use gradle for building the project. Gradle provides a basic wrapper script so that the project can be built without installing gradle beforehand. That is why we include the script + wrapper lib.  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#build-tools says that specific [build] tools have been OK'ed for inclusion in Apache distribution when used for that specific purpose [of building].
>>
>> Should we exclude the gradle wrapper from our distribution?
>>

>>> .
>>>
>>> RELEASE_NOTES.html does not have an AL header (nor is it valid HTML).
>>>
>>> Various s4-benchmarks/config/ files don't have AL headers.
>>
>> That was intentional, so we might just remove them.
>>

>>> The logback.xml files don't have AL headers.
>>
>> OK

>>> Probably not a requirement for a release, but the KEYS file is tricky
>>> to read as it stands.
>>> I cannot easily tell if your signing key is in there, for example.
>>>
>>> If you follow the sample commands in the header it will create the

>>> or
>>> http://www.apache.org/dist/zookeeper/KEYS
>>>
>>> Or indeed
>>> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ambari/KEYS
>>> or

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Hi, Matthieu,

It sounds like you folks are trying hard to get this right -- kudos!

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org> wrote:
> 1/ about the content of LICENSE and NOTICE, is the following correct?
>
> - in the LICENSE file of the binary distribution, in addition to references
>   to non-ASL included dependencies (already there), we need to reference all
>   included dependencies that use ASL2, with the following statement:  "The
>   Apache License, Version 2.0 applies to the following libraries: A, B, C"

I haven't reviewed the release candidate, but that description sounds fine.
Some might argue that it's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt -- and if one of
those libraries ever changes its license, the discrepancy should serve as a
red flag for you to review and fix.

> - in the NOTICE file of the binary distribution, we add notices that
>   dependency libraries explicitly ask for. That is already done and no
>   change is required.

That also sounds correct, assuming that your interpretation of "notices that
the dependency libraries explicitly ask for" and what the dependency licenses
actually require are in harmony. :) Hopefully the Licensing How-to gives you
enough information to guide your choices.  For BSD-3, MIT, and ALv2
dependencies, the requirements are reasonably straightforward.

    http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

The NOTICE requirements for other licenses are not yet documented by Apache
Legal Affairs; this is an area where the ASF needs to do some work, so that
our PMCs and PPMCs don't have to pore over licenses making judgment calls.

> 2/  about the inclusion of the gradle wrapper jar + script in the source
>     distribution:
>
> We currently use gradle for building the project. Gradle provides a basic
> wrapper script so that the project can be built without installing gradle
> beforehand. That is why we include the script + wrapper lib.
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#build-tools says that specific
> [build] tools have been OK'ed for inclusion in Apache distribution when used
> for that specific purpose [of building].
>
> Should we exclude the gradle wrapper from our distribution?

Since Gradle appears to be under the Apache License 2.0, the section on the
"build tools" doesn't really come into play.  That passage refers to certain
tools with licenses which would ordinarily raise concerns.

The rationale for not including the gradle wrapper jar file in the canonical
source distribution is that a jar file is not source code.  There was a
discussion on this topic in March 2012 on general@; here's ASF Board member
Roy Fielding:

    http://markmail.org/message/a4kbf33vn57dkz2j

    Class files are not open source. Jar files filled with class files are not
    open source. The fact that they are derived from open source is applicable
    only to what we allow projects to be dependent upon, not what we vote on
    as a release package. Release votes are on verified open source artifacts.
    Binary packages are separate from source packages. One cannot vote to
    approve a release containing a mix of source and binary code because the
    binary is not open source and cannot be verified to be safe for release
    (even if it was derived from open source).

Feel free to bundle ALv2 tools with the binary redistribution, or in a
separate `-deps` package, though.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] S4 0.6.0 Incubating Release Candidate 3

Posted by Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org>.
Hello all,

after getting valuable comments about our release candidate 3 for S4 0.6.0, we'd like to cut a new release candidate.

However, we are still not sure about how to address the comments we received, and we cannot work on a new release candidate without understanding the proper actions to take.

We are also a bit short on active mentors in the S4 podling, that's why I'm asking to the broader community.

[...]

Thanks for bringing us lights here, if possible!

Matthieu

Posted by Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your comments,

> [...]

>> If this is a requirement for the release, I suppose I can update the KEYS file in the subversion repository with the proper headers?
>
> Probably not a requirement for a release, but the KEYS file is tricky
> to read as it stands.
> I cannot easily tell if your signing key is in there, for example.
>
> If you follow the sample commands in the header it will create the
> header followed by the key.
>
> It should look something like
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/abdera/KEYS
> or
> http://www.apache.org/dist/zookeeper/KEYS
>
> Or indeed
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ambari/KEYS
> or
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/wink/KEYS

I updated the KEYS file following your recommendation.

>>> s4-checkstyle.xml

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback,

I replied inline.

On Mar 27, 2013, at 21:00 , sebb wrote:

> On 27 March 2013 19:07, Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> this is a call for a vote to release Apache S4 0.6.0 incubating.
>>

>> A vote was held on developer mailing list and it passed for RC3 with 6+1's with 5 of them binding:
>>
>> +1 IPMC (phunt)
>> +1PPMC (mmorel, kishoreg, leoneu, fpj)
>> +1 committer non PPMC (dferro)
>>

>> Here is the vote thread on s4-dev: http://markmail.org/thread/n5totrx7jkh2nvzu
>>

>> This release fixes the following issues:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12312322&version=12321702
>>

>> Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for convenience.
>>
>> Source and binary packages in zip format:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mmorel/s4-0.6.0-incubating-release-candidate-3/
>>

>> The (git) tag to be voted upon: 0.6.0-RC3:
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-s4.git;a=tag;h=9b178170d76333579a9c56564dd060ccd173f115
>
> NOTICE says:
>
> Apache S4
> Copyright 2012 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> Have there been no substantive changes this year?

I think you are reading from the master branch in the git repository. In our development process (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/S4-35) the master branch holds the released code, while the dev branch holds the code accepted for inclusion and that will be part of the next release. So we cut the release candidate from dev branch. The year in the NOTICE file is 2013.

> gradlew and gradlew.bat don't have AL headers; nor does s4.

The s4 file does have headers in the release artifacts.

gradle/gradlew scripts to not have the ASL header because this is generated code.

According to the RAT tool, generated code does not need to bear the license header. This issue was identified and discussed during the voting process on s4-dev mailing lis. For this release, it was considered valid to leave those generated files not annotated by one of our mentors.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.