Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Claude Duguay <re...@verizon.net> on 2003/04/04 20:29:53 UTC

Time for the Questions

I like to figure things out by myself wherever possible, even if it
takes a little longer, BUT wow!, this is not a very effective deployment
process.

I have packaged my Matchers and Mailets into a JAR file and dropped it
into the lib directory as instructed by the documentation. I have
incrementally added a single one of those to the configuration file in
the most conservative way possible (by copying and chaning only the
Mailet class name). The results are an unbelievable number of exceptions
and reams of uninformative logging.

I have, as instructed by the docs, made sure the mail and james jar file
in the James lib directory, and added the activation.jar file required
by the JavaMail API (not documented), but I've had little success.
Rather than start debugging by having me send stack traces and going
back and forth, I would be grateful if someone explained their own
development process and talked about setting thing up to work with
Matchers and Mailets. The documentation is woefully inadequate and it
would be useful to capture this information in a simple email exchange.

In any case, here are a few questions:

1) What do I really have to do to get a new Matcher and/or Mailet to be
found on the class path?

2) What other elements MUST be on the same class path?

3) Are there any problems with default package (no package declaration)
classes?

4) Which logs are most useful to inspect when working on this kind of
problem?

5) Which exceptions help narrow the field of investigation. Quite
frankly, it's difficult to handle the overflow under Windows (OK, OK, I
should probably work under Linux for this, but my development
environment is already set up on the worstation). Java also doesn't make
redirecting the output to a file a simple process, so it's all the more
difficult to deal with long spews of exception feedback.

Any help at this stage would be greatly appreciated. I have completed
the design and initial development of my classes. I am now ready to
incrementall test the functionality. Getting even the simplest Matcher
or Mailet configured is a major stunbling block, however and if you want
to drive user adoption an area that demands first better documentation,
and probably a better process.