Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com> on 2009/06/12 09:50:59 UTC

3.0, back-compat, Java 1.5 etc

hey there,
I see a lot of emails going on about 3.0, getting ready for Java 1.5 (
I guess enums, generics etc) and discussions about back-compat policy.
I'm curious if there is a kind of a roadmap or a document where I can
get up-to-date with all those targets and especially what we want to
achieve in 3.0.
I also saw a comment on LUCENE-1407 "...Searcher extend the RMI class,
but that will leave RMI in core. Or I can have Searchable implement
new methods, but that won't take us in the ultimate direction we want
- getting rid of interfaces."
I'm curious about why lucene wants to get rid of interfaces though?
I would be happy if somebody could point me out to a mailing-list
thread or whatever yields the information I asked for.

Thanks,
Simon

Re: 3.0, back-compat, Java 1.5 etc

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks guys!

Re: 3.0, back-compat, Java 1.5 etc

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

RE: 3.0, back-compat, Java 1.5 etc

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
I think we should also insert the generics to at least the public APIs
before 3.0. This is not a real change to backwards compatibility or
anything, it is just adding the "annotations" which data types are used in
java collections and so on. But it should be done before 3.0, because after
3.0 it would a break to change the return value of a functions from List<?>
(which it is by default) to List<Field> or similar. As 3.0 is the first 1.5
release it should be done before!

I wanted to do this directly after the 2.9 release, there are tools, that
can do this half-automatically in e.g. Eclipse.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: 3.0, back-compat, Java 1.5 etc

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
here is a great link for this topic:
http://www.icu-project.org/docs/papers/supplementaries_iuc21.ppt

so you see it wouldn't be that invasive, and of course you can still
use char[], with some minor modifications to how you process text in
certain places.

its the parameters that take single char, etc that would potentially
be a compat issue.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: 3.0, back-compat, Java 1.5 etc

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
in general most stuff will be ok (code just doesnt mess with the
surrogate pairs)

simple example: things like lowercase filter are not, and
lowercasetokenizer, well, can't fix that since its super
chartokenizer, works on char.

i hope this doesnt sound bad, but in general the transition is simple
for most apps, because they work with String. Lucene works with char a
lot, so its a bigger challenge, but I appreciate the good performance
:)

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Michael
McCandless<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Robert Muir<rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 3.0 will then be a mechanical release: "simply" remove all deprecated
>>> APIs, fix all core, contrib, tests to not use those APIs, release, and
>>> immediately begin accepting 1.5 patches.
>>>

>> personally, I wonder if anyone but me is interested in correcting the
>> issue that unicode character no longer fits in java 'char' in java 1.5
>> :)
>>
>> maybe I am the only one, but i still think its correctness issue...,
>> and will require changing some apis, even if its just char->int
>
> I think this is important.
>
> But it's a big change right?  EG would we need to change tokens to be
> int not char based?
>
> Also, can't this happen after 3.0?
>
> Mike

Robert Muir