Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Jonas Jacobi <jo...@oracle.com> on 2005/06/15 00:15:19 UTC

New JSR - JSR 276: Design-Time Metadata for JavaServerTM Faces Components

Hi All,

Over the past year there has been several posts about JSF where comments
from the community has raised a concern - there is no standard way of
packaging, or defining additional design time metadata for custom JSF
components. This has been acknowledged by the JSF EG, and over the past
8 months there has been ongoing work to submit a proposal for a new JSR
addressing these needs based on the initial proposal posted on JSF
Central <http://www.jsfcentral.com/articles/oracle_metadata_proposal.html>

Awhile back I wrote an article - Build Custom JSF Components
<http://www.ftponline.com/channels/java/2005_05/jjacobi_05_25_05/default.aspx>
- addressing the concern about the lack of a defined way of providing.
The hope is that through this JSR, the Java community can work together
to define a standard solution to this problem. The Expert Group will
consist of a representative set of tool vendors and component authors,
and the feedback of the community will be actively solicited.

I recommend that if you have an interest in creating your own custom UI
components this is a great opportunity to get involved in improving the
overall design-time experience for JSF UI components.

Here is the URL for more information about this JSR:

JSR 276: Design-Time Metadata for JavaServerTM Faces Components
<http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=276>

Jonas

Re: New JSR - JSR 276: Design-Time Metadata for JavaServerTM Faces Components

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
Sure this is a valid point. The JSF-Ajax-Blueprints components are
also delivering
external resources like javascript files, to render the Ajax stuff.
I like to way our ExtensionFilter does that and its AddResource clazz
for adding stuff.

Perhaps the EG is still disscussing issues like this to have a standard way
for including (external) resources.
(Manfred are you listining?)

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

Re: New JSR - JSR 276: Design-Time Metadata for JavaServerTM Faces Components

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org>.
Do any of us have the bandwidth to join this EG?

On Jun 14, 2005, at 4:15 PM, Jonas Jacobi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Over the past year there has been several posts about JSF where
> comments from the community has raised a concern - there is no
> standard way of packaging, or defining additional design time
> metadata for custom JSF components. This has been acknowledged by
> the JSF EG, and over the past 8 months there has been ongoing work
> to submit a proposal for a new JSR addressing these needs based on
> the initial proposal posted on JSF Central
> Awhile back I wrote an article - Build Custom JSF Components -
> addressing the concern about the lack of a defined way of
> providing. The hope is that through this JSR, the Java community
> can work together to define a standard solution to this problem.
> The Expert Group will consist of a representative set of tool
> vendors and component authors, and the feedback of the community
> will be actively solicited.
>
> I recommend that if you have an interest in creating your own
> custom UI components this is a great opportunity to get involved in
> improving the overall design-time experience for JSF UI components.
>
> Here is the URL for more information about this JSR:
>
> JSR 276: Design-Time Metadata for JavaServerTM Faces Components
>
> Jonas

Bill Dudney
MyFaces - myfaces.apache.org