Posted to user@struts.apache.org by rh...@rdg.boehringer-ingelheim.com on 2001/01/26 04:05:09 UTC

Weblogic 5.1 and Struts 1.0, Classpath question

Well,

After much frustration the past few nights I have finally managed to get the
Struts 1.0 example application to work on WL5.1. The majority of my problems
had to do with the classpath, which I never thought could be so irritating
(Thierry Cools suggested not to put struts.jar in the classpath, so I did
this and then it worked... Thanks!). My other problem was that I was using
the JAXP parser from Sun, which apparently is not appropriate for Struts 1.0
and WL5.1. It was fine with 0.5, but 1.0 failed to load with many errors.
Now I am using Xerces and things are much better.

However, there is still a problem. If I put struts.jar in the WL classpath,
the example application will not work. The app deploys and loads without
errors, but when the first JSP is executed I get a "runtime failure in
custom tag 'message'" error (see below). So the easy solution is just don't
put struts.jar in the classpath. The problem is that it needs to be included
because my session beans need a few classes that are included with
struts.jar (probably not the ideal design, but this how I am doing things)
such as ValidatingActionForm. Before I unzip things and try to include just
what I need, I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas why including this
in the classpath is causing these problems. Both *.jars are identical, so I
don't see why this makes a difference.  I am not sure what this error means
so I don't know where to begin.

Any ideas?

Thanks
-Bob

BTW - has anyone written (or in process or writing) installation notes
regarding Struts1.0 and WL5.1? If not, I would be happy to help out and do
this.

Thu Jan 25 21:32:15 EST 2001:<E> <WebAppServletContext-strutsexample> Root
cause of ServletException
javax.servlet.ServletException: runtime failure in custom tag 'message'
        at jsp_servlet._index._jspService(_index.java, Compiled Code)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:27)
        at
:106)
        at
:124)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImp
l.java:907)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImp
l.java:851)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(ServletContext
Manager.java:252)
        at
weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:364)
        at
weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:252)
        at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java, Compiled
Code)