Posted to repository@apache.org by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au> on 2003/11/27 13:14:50 UTC

URI proposals updated

I've updated the proposals to incorporate some of the feedback received.
Each proposal can be accessed from:
  http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/Proposals
(this also contains an overview)

Summary of changes:

1. constrained organisation in Repository URI Syntax
   http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/URISyntax

   The organisation part may no longer contain nested "/"
   This restriction has been done to support URI parsing.

2. constrained version-name in Common Build Distribution Specifier.

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/CommonBuildVersio
nSpecifier

   The version-name may no longer contain reserved words.

3. Factored signature artifacts out of Java Artifact Specifier

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/SignatureArtifact
Specifier

4. Factored license artifacts out of Java Artifact Specifier.

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/LicenseArtifactSp
ecifier

   Preliminary only.

5. Restructured Java Artifact Specifier
   http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/JavaArtifacts

   . changed to refer to Common Distribution Artifact Specifier,
     Signature Artifact Specifier, and License Artifact Specifier
   . added ear-artifact
   . removed doc-artifact, as its not specific to java projects

-Tim

RE: URI proposals updated

Posted by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au>.
I envisaged:
. formal builds to be reproducible builds, such as those
  built against a label. E.g:
  "1.0"
  "0.9-rc1"
  "release/1.2"
  "release/1.0beta2"

. interim builds to be any build against the codebase
  at a particular time. E.g:
  "snapshot/1.0/20031213"
  "nightly/1.0-beta2.3/20031210"

However, there is some overlap - an interim build could be labelled,
but not represent a formal build. For that reason, the timestamp
is optional:
  interim-build = interim-build-designation "/" version
                  [ "/" interim-version ]
  interim-build-designation = "interim" | "nightly" | "snapshot" | ...
  interim-version = timestamp | latest
  timestamp = YYYYMMDD ["." HHMM [SS]]
  latest = "latest"

If milestone builds are formal builds, then the repository for "commons-foo"
might look like:
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/commons-foo/
    1.0-milestone1/
      binaries/
      source/
      jars/
    1.0-milestone2/
    1.0-rc1/
    1.0-rc2/
    1.0/
    1.1-milestone1/
    1.1-milestone2/
    nightly/
      1.0/
        20031112/
          binaries/
          source/
          jars/
        20031113/
        20031114/

If they are interim builds, built off a label:
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/commons-foo/
    1.0/
      binaries/
      source/
      jars/
    1.0-rc1/
    1.0-rc2/
    interim/
      1.0-milestone1/
          binaries/
          source/
          jars/
      1.0-milestone2/
      1.1-milestone1/
      1.1-milestone2/
    nightly/

At this stage, I have no real preference for either
use - a tool can unambiguously locate them either way.

-Tim

Re: URI proposals updated

Re: URI proposals updated

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Tim:

Short note to let you know that I updated ASFRepository/JavaArtifacts
to include the Avalon bar file as a java-artifact-specifier. I think
that this latest spec is looking a lot more robust - thanks for the
effort on this.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell