Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Keith Joslyn <jo...@icloud.com> on 2013/10/21 23:15:32 UTC

Mobile device support?

Hi

Is there any intention/willingness to develope/deploy a version of your great office application (OpenOffice). It has been my choice of office products since 'StarOffice' on OS/2. And I continue to use OpenOffice on my OSX & Linux distro's. I would love to be able to use it on my iPhone & iPad

Regards

Jos Joslyn

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Mobile device support?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Keith Joslyn <jo...@icloud.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any intention/willingness to develope/deploy a version of your
> great office application (OpenOffice). It has been my choice of office
> products since 'StarOffice' on OS/2. And I continue to use OpenOffice on my
> OSX & Linux distro's. I would love to be able to use it on my iPhone & iPad
>
> Regards
>
> Jos Joslyn
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Hi Jos --

Please see our blog on this topic from earlier this year...question #9

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/?page=2

MzK

"There's so much boldness in living life this way ...
 we did it all, and no one can take it away from us."
                            -- Diana Nyad

Re: Mobile device support?

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jos,

On 2013-10-21, at 17:15 , Keith Joslyn <jo...@icloud.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any intention/willingness to develope/deploy a version of your great office application (OpenOffice). It has been my choice of office products since 'StarOffice' on OS/2. And I continue to use OpenOffice on my OSX & Linux distro's. I would love to be able to use it on my iPhone & iPad

The short answer is "no": there is no evidence that the developers (and their companies) working on Apache OpenOffice are working on a mobile version of OpenOffice, which I understand to mean an editor of ODF format using more or less similar UI elements but somehow packed into an iOS frame. :-) (There is a viewer for, at least, iOS, for Symphony, which is Lotus Notes' notion of AOO. It's good.)

In fact, there are hardly any (perhaps zero) iOS ODF editors, at least none that is native. There are several that are not native clients; these use HTML5 or the like and via a browser window (or similar) render OO on your mobile desktop. Those that work via the browser are probably equally usable on Android as on iOS, but one has to try things out.

As to the native client. I'm working with the creator of UX Write, a native iOS client for the iPad, to support ODF. He's keen on it, but wants to focus his resources on furthering the development of what UX Write does now, which is fully support MSFT formats, as well as other formats, and in a way that's rather good. If you want to help contribute to ODF support, please let him know. :-)

(Why is a native client desired and how is not the same as squeezing OO into the mobile? A native client would likely be faster and would work offline. And what is wanted is an ODF editor, with the same UI—or close enough; there are limitations at play here!—not the whole thing somehow shrunk down. The former is feasible, though it's not a trivial task by any means, and UX Write's solution is rather brilliant, but the latter is probably not even desirable, let alone feasible.)

> Regards
>
> Jos Joslyn

best
Louis