Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by rolando58 <r....@aamgroup.com> on 2021/03/30 04:03:58 UTC

Microsoft RDS and a workgroup

We have had a request to enable MS RDS services for a shared server. The
server is only a workgroup member, and thus is restricted to the Per Device
CAL license model with RDS

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/remote/set-up-remote-desktop-licensing-across-domains-forests-workgroups

When using the Html5 Guacamole application, does that become the Device? Can
we therefore use the RDS CALs available for multiple sessions on the same
server?

Do you have any references for this

Thanks

Re: Microsoft RDS and a workgroup

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:04 AM rolando58 <r....@aamgroup.com> wrote:

> We have had a request to enable MS RDS services for a shared server. The
> server is only a workgroup member, and thus is restricted to the Per Device
> CAL license model with RDS
>

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/remote/set-up-remote-desktop-licensing-across-domains-forests-workgroups
>
> When using the Html5 Guacamole application, does that become the Device?
> Can
> we therefore use the RDS CALs available for multiple sessions on the same
> server?

First, I will caveat this by saying that you should consult a trusted
Microsoft Licensing expert. These folks are hard to find, because
usually they are resellers, which means they have an interest in
getting you to spend more money, but it is worth it to find someone you can
trust that can walk you through it. There may be someone lurking about on
the Guacamole mailing list that fits that description, but it is a
Guacamole-centred mailing list, not a Microsoft licensing mailing list.

That said, I think if you find an actual copy of the license agreement (I'm
having trouble locating an available copy at the moment) you'll see that
Microsoft has already anticipated and accounted for things like Guacamole
(RDP Gateways) in their licensing. In the Device CAL model, Guacamole
itself does not count as the device, but, instead, the end user web
browsers that are accessing the RDP server via Guacamole are what count as
the device. So, you'll still need to purchase a license for each end user
device accessing the server via RDP.

-Nick