Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Hequn Cheng <he...@apache.org> on 2020/02/18 08:02:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Improvements on FLIP Process

Hi everyone,

Currently, when we create a FLIP we follow the FLIP process in the Flink
Improvement Proposals wiki[1]. The process mainly includes the following
steps:
1. Create a FLIP wiki page.
2. Raise the discussion on the mailing list.
3. Once the proposal is finalized, call a vote to have the proposal adopted.
There is also a discussion[2] on the FLIP process which may be helpful for
you.

As it is not allowed commented on the wiki, we usually have a google doc
for the discussion at step 2 and whenever there is a change we need to pick
it to the wiki page. This makes things somehow redundant. To solve this, we
can rearrange the step a little bit and avoid the pick:
1. Raise the discussion on the mailing list. The subject of the thread is
of the format [DISCUSS][FLIP] {your FLIP heading}. Also, the design doc
should follow the FLIP-Template strictly. (The [FLIP] tag is used to inform
people that it is a FLIP discussion and more attention should be paid.)
2. Create a FLIP wiki page once we reached an agreement on the discussion.
We can simply copy the google doc into the FLIP wiki page.
3. Once the proposal is finalized, call a vote to have the proposal
adopted. It should be noted that we should always vote on a FLIP wiki page
instead of a google doc. The wiki page is the final version of the google
doc.

This can bring some benefits:
1. Make the discussion more effective as we force people to write and
discuss on a google doc that follows the FLIP template which
includes necessary information such as Motivation, Interfaces, Proposed
changes, etc.
2. Avoid redundant pick from google doc to Flink wiki page. Once we reached
an agreement on the discussion, we can simply copy the google doc into the
FLIP wiki page.
3. As adopted FLIP should mostly be "immutable", we can even make the wiki
page PMC or committer editable since it just needs a simple copy from the
google doc.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best,
Hequn

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Improvement+Proposals
[2]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-META-FLIP-Sticking-or-not-to-a-strict-FLIP-voting-process-td29978.html#a29988

Re: [DISCUSS] Improvements on FLIP Process

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.
+1 for David's proposal.

I think it happens a lot that we implement the FLIPs differently from the
original proposals, based on more understandings during the implementation.
Some times the differences are even not minors, which of course needs
consensus and maybe a vote on the mailing list. Moreover, some of the FLIP
wiki pages are referenced in user docs, release notes and blogposts. I
think it's important to keep the FLIPs updated.

We actually did that for FLIP-49 and FLIP-53 that released in 1.10,
updating the parts which are implemented differently according to ML
discussions. But we made the changed directly on the outdated contents. I
think, as David proposed, having a separate section and for such changes
might be better. We can add it to the FLIP template, to be filled in after
the FLIP is released.

@Hequn
What I don't get is that, if we do not allow comments on google docs, how
is it different from using wiki pages from the very beginning when
discussion is raised? Please correct me if I was wrong, it seems the
differences exist only if we make the wiki pages editable to committers
only. However, I don't see the necessity for having a strict wiki access,
because people can get notifications on modifications to the wiki pages by
simply *watch* them, unlike google docs where the people with edit access
can change the doc silently.

+1 to put the name of person who drives and is responsible for the FLIP doc
on the wiki page. Not sure whether it has to be a committer. This should
help clearly define who is responsible for keep the FLIP status updated,
and inform other people about whom to ping if they find a FLIP is not
properly updated.

Thank you~

Xintong Song

Posted by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com>.

Posted by Hequn Cheng <he...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for Aljoscha's proposal.

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Yuan Mei <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 1:22 AM Zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > However, I have a somewhat opposing opinion to this: we should disallow
> > > using Google Docs for FLIPs and FLIP discussions and follow the already
> > > established process more strictly.
> > >
> > > My reasons for this are:
> > >   - discussions on the Google Doc are not reflected in Apache
> > > infrastructure
> > >   - discussions on Google Docs are non-linear and hard to follow
> > >   - when discussions on Google Docs are resolved these discussions are
> > > not visible/re-readable anymore (I know there's history, but meh)
> > >   - if discussion is kept purely to the ML this is easily observable
> for
> > > any interested parties and it's there if somewhat want's to recheck the
> > > discussion in the future
> > >   - going from Google Doc to Wiki is an extra step that seems
> > > unnecessary to me (but that's just personal opinion, I mean, I don't

Best, Jingsong Lee

Re: [DISCUSS] Improvements on FLIP Process

Posted by Zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for launching this discussion and also agree with the opinions of Kostas, Timo and Aljoscha.

The proposed reasons for eliminating google doc are very reasonable, especially the access limitation for some people in China.

Besides that, another conservative option is to make google doc as an optional procedure, not a must procedure in practice, and
the ML discussion is still the formal must procedure to follow firstly. And we can also kindly list these specific considerations/reasons
for google doc concerns as said below in the guideline doc.

To do so, we still retain this option for some people who prefer to google doc or willing to provide it in some corner cases.

From:Kostas Kloudas <kk...@gmail.com>
Send Time:2020 Feb. 18 (Tue.) 23:03
To:dev <de...@flink.apache.org>
Subject:Re: [DISCUSS] Improvements on FLIP Process