Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Su...@trilogy.com on 2006/04/12 10:16:36 UTC

Need clarification regarding the Monitoring & Reporting components.

Hi,

I have posted this mail in jmeter-user mailing list also.

We are trying to use jmeter on some of our projects in Trilogy.

We faced problems in the following three areas.

1. Recording openamf http requests in Jmeter. (openamf is used for flash
application. It exchanges binary data with the server)
2. Offline and automated generation of reports with graphs. A tool to
define our report requirements.
3. Monitoring  of following parameters at server end

        -OS Memory.
        -CPU usage by server process.

        -JVM stats.
                -Heap  stats.
                -Thread stats.

        -Database
                -DB active connections.
                -Avg, Max query times.

        etc.

We solved problem 1 by implementing a  x-amf recording plug-in to jmeter.

For problems 2 and 3 we have some ideas.

As per problem 3 is concerned we thought of having a jmx client in jmeter
that can connect to the server jvm.

Please let us know if some work has already been done over this so that we
can add on to it.

If these problems are not solved, we  might try to contibute these
components into Jmeter.

Please reply ASAP.

Best regards
Subrahmanya A

Re: Need clarification regarding the Monitoring & Reporting components.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12/04/06, Subrahmanya.A@trilogy.com <Su...@trilogy.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have posted this mail in jmeter-user mailing list also.
>
> We are trying to use jmeter on some of our projects in Trilogy.
>
> We faced problems in the following three areas.
>
> 1. Recording openamf http requests in Jmeter. (openamf is used for flash
> application. It exchanges binary data with the server)

Yes, there are some areas of the proxy server that need updating to
handle binary data correctly.

> 2. Offline and automated generation of reports with graphs. A tool to
> define our report requirements.

Some work has been done on adding reporting to JMeter.

> 3. Monitoring  of following parameters at server end
>
>        -OS Memory.
>        -CPU usage by server process.
>
>        -JVM stats.
>                -Heap  stats.
>                -Thread stats.
>
>        -Database
>                -DB active connections.
>                -Avg, Max query times.
>
>        etc.
>

> We solved problem 1 by implementing a  x-amf recording plug-in to jmeter.
>
> For problems 2 and 3 we have some ideas.
>
> As per problem 3 is concerned we thought of having a jmx client in jmeter
> that can connect to the server jvm.

No work has been done on integrating JMX into JMeter as far as I know.

> Please let us know if some work has already been done over this so that we
> can add on to it.
>
> If these problems are not solved, we  might try to contibute these
> components into Jmeter.

That could be very useful, thanks.

We would probably need a software grant before we could accept the code...

Re: Need clarification regarding the Monitoring & Reporting components.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/12/06, Subrahmanya.A@trilogy.com <Su...@trilogy.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have posted this mail in jmeter-user mailing list also.
>
> We are trying to use jmeter on some of our projects in Trilogy.
>
> We faced problems in the following three areas.
>
> 1. Recording openamf http requests in Jmeter. (openamf is used for flash
> application. It exchanges binary data with the server)
> 2. Offline and automated generation of reports with graphs. A tool to
> define our report requirements.

I started to work on this, but haven't finished it yet. The code is under
the report directory in src.  the approach I started to take was to have a
GUI tool for creating report templates, which are then executed against .jtl
log files.

3. Monitoring  of following parameters at server end

>         -OS Memory.
>         -CPU usage by server process.
>
>         -JVM stats.
>                 -Heap  stats.
>                 -Thread stats.
>
>         -Database
>                 -DB active connections.
>                 -Avg, Max query times.
>
>         etc.

as sebb said, no work has been done in this area. although jmeter has a
tomcat 5 monitoring tool, it only shows jvm and thread stats. it does not
show system load, database connectivity or OS memory usage.