Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org> on 2018/12/07 15:29:31 UTC

[SURVEY] Usage of flink-python and flink-streaming-python

Dear Flink community,

in order to better understand the needs of our users and to plan for the
future, I wanted to reach out to you and ask how much you use Flink's
Python API, namely flink-python and flink-streaming-python.

In order to gather feedback, I would like to ask all Python users to
respond to this thread and quickly outline how you use Python in
combination with Flink. Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Till

Re: [SURVEY] Usage of flink-python and flink-streaming-python

Posted by Xianda Ke <ke...@gmail.com>.
After communicating with some of the internal users at Alibaba, my impression is that:
* Most of them need C extentions support, they want to integrated their algorithms with stream processing,but Jython is unacceptable for them.
* For some users, who are only familiar with SQL/Python, developing Java API application/UDF is too complex. Writing Python UDF and declaring it in SQL is preferred.
* Machine Learning users needs richer Python APIs, such as Table API Python support.

From my point of view, currently Python support has a few caveats in Flink.
* For batch, there is only DataSet Python API.
* For streaming, where Flink really shines, only Jython is supported, but Jython has lots of limitations.
* For most of the big data users, SQL/Table API is more friendly, but Python users have no such APIs right now.
* The interactive Python shell is very user-friendly. It can be used to test interactively and is a simple way to learn the API. However, there is no such interactive Python shell in Flink now.

At Alibaba, Python UDF for SQL has been developed and has been delivered to internal users.  Currently, we start to develop the Python API, and we've drafted a design documentation and will publish it to the community soon for discussion.

Regards,
Xianda

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Thanks a lot for the feedback for this survey. I will close it now since 6
days have passed without new activity.

To me it seems that we currently don't have many users who use flink-python
or flink-streaming-python because of their limitations (mentioned in the
survey by Xianda). This information might be useful when discussing Flink's
future Python strategy and whether to continue supporting flink-python and
flink-streaming-python in the future.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xianda Ke <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Folks,

--
Ke, Xianda

Re: [SURVEY] Usage of flink-python and flink-streaming-python

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xianda Ke <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Till,

--
Ke, Xianda

Re: [SURVEY] Usage of flink-python and flink-streaming-python

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi Xianda,

Posted by Xianda Ke <ke...@gmail.com>.
Xianda Ke <ke...@gmail.com>
9:47 AM (11 minutes ago)
to dev, user
After communicating with some of the internal users at Alibaba, my
impression is that:

   - Most of them need C extensions support, they want to integrated their
   algorithms with stream processing,but Jython is unacceptable for them.
   - For some users, who are only familiar with SQL/Python, developing Java
   API application/UDF is too complex. Writing Python UDF and declaring it in
   SQL is preferred.
   - Machine Learning users needs richer Python APIs, such as Table API
   Python support.

From my point of view, currently Python support has a few caveats in Flink.

--
Ke, Xianda