Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jithu mada <ji...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/22 23:52:21 UTC

Re: Avoiding username/password being logged into localhost access logs

Thanks for the prompt Reply.

The tomcat is running on AIX 5.3 and the files are not publicly accessible.
Its only accessible to few users.

But the user wants the username and password to be obscured.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
jithu mada wrote:
[...]
The only way I can see for the userid and password to be visible in an
access log, is if they are part of the URL (actually, of the query
string) and unencoded.
Which would mean that this is a form-based authentication, with either
no method attribute in the <form> tag, or method="GET".
If it was really a POST, it would be in the body of the request, and not
appear in the access log.

Re: Avoiding username/password being logged into localhost access logs

Posted by Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com>.

> How is Tomcat meant to determine that data in the URL is a password and
> needs to be filtered?
>
>> I imagine there are all sorts of places that (rightfully) have
>> policies against storing a clear text password anywhere.
>
> The only reason you are seeing the password in the access logs appears
> to be the fact that the application is including in the URL. No
> authentication scheme provided by Tomcat does this. This is an
> application issue (it should be using POST rather than GET) not a Tomcat
> one.
>
> Mark

Ahh.  I didn't read the first post very carefully.  I thought there
were using a built-in tomcat authorization scheme - and it was logging
the usernames and passwords.  But the original poster just has a
really poor application design.

I didn't think Tomcat would be logging passwords in clear text.  Nevermind me :)

Dan

Re: Avoiding username/password being logged into localhost access logs

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: jithu mada [mailto:jithu.mada@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Avoiding username/password being logged into localhost
> access logs
>
> Its only accessible to few users.
>
> But the user wants the username and password to be obscured.

Then you'll need to extend the existing logger class, have your replacement scan for username and password, and apply appropriate obfuscation.  It would be easier just to completely restrict access to the log files, and filter them after the fact.

 - Chuck