Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/05/27 18:32:47 UTC

how to submit a patch

solprovider@gmail.com wrote:

> I finally tried Bugzilla.  I entered both items as one bug, and
> included the fix for #1.  (#2 is a very simple XSLT modification.)
> Should they be separated?
>
> Is that submitting a patch?  Or is that something else?

thanks for reporting the bug, that means it wont get forgotten.

there have been quite a few patches recently, and i want to take this
opportunity to remind everyone how to do the patches in a way to make
them easiest to apply (the less work it is to integrate your patch, the
higher the chances are that it will be applied quickly..)

please read http://lenya.apache.org/community/index.html#Contribute+code

the important part is to have a unified patch against the *latest
version from SVN*, which means it's one big file with all changes,
instead of dozens of patch files, or worse, copies of the files you changed.

the easiest way to do all this is to set up eclipse

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/HowToLenyaInEclipseDebugger

that allows you to right-click on your project, and select create patch.
(note that you have to add new files to the repository, or they will not
be part of the patch)

if you are unable to use eclipse, you can also prepare the patch on the
command line, as described in

http://lenya.apache.org/community/index.html#Contribute+code
(note that you have to add new files to the repository, or they will not
be part of the patch)

this patch file you can then attach to a bugzilla entry. please do not
zip your patch up, it creates unnecessary work for commiters to review
your patch (because they cannot just view the patch online, copy it, and
apply it)

Re: how to submit a patch

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
qMax wrote:
> Friday, May 27, 2005, 11:32:47 PM, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> GJR> the important part is to have a unified patch against the *latest
> GJR> version from SVN*,
> Does this applies to (the HEAD of) 1.2.x branch,
> or it is closed and only for back-porting from 1.4 ?

both

Re: how to submit a patch

Posted by qMax <qm...@mediasoft.ru>.

--