Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com> on 2003/06/18 19:09:01 UTC

[RTF] Jfor integration

Bertrand et al:

I did a little work in RTFHandler yesterday (after reading the wiki &
related email messages on the topic), committing a change to implement
text-align for paragraphs, mostly just to get a feel for what is going on
there. I was using examples/fo/basic/normal.fo as my test document, so the
next thing I thought I would mess with was paragraph shading
(background-color). It looked like that was not implemented in the jfor
libs, so I was trying to set up my IDE to use the jfor source & watch it in
the debugger. Some of the source files contain non-ASCII characters (see
main/JForVersionInfo.java, line 67, for example), but are encoded as ASCII
(instead of UTF-8), so the IDE was choking. This is easy to fix, and I am
tempted to go ahead and drop the jfor source code into the FOP repository &
start hacking away. What do you think? The wiki made me think that maybe you
were wanting to keep your options open. I guess the other issues that raises
are 1) dropping in the Apache license (looks like no problem), and some
style issues. What are your thoughts on all of this?

Victor Mote

RE: [RTF] Jfor integration

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> +1 for working on JFOR integration.
>
> If JFOR's sources should go into CVS, I think from the licensing point
> of view, Bertrand will have to do the initial import of the sources. I
> believe, this performs an implicit grant process because of his
> committer license agreement.

It sure can't hurt. That sounds like a good idea.

> Victor, I don't want to draw you away from the API stuff with my
> earlier comments. I promise to come up with constructive thoughts within
> the next few days. My brain is already working on it.

Not at all -- I understand the process. I think we are probably after much
the same thing, just viewing it from different angles -- you from API, I
from control of the processing. I have a lot to learn on the multithreading
issues, but AFAIK, the two are completely compatible, and in fact
complementary. On the RTF stuff, it is rare that I can string enough time
together to do any coding, so I hate to waste it when it is there.

Victor Mote

Re: [RTF] Jfor integration

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 18.06.2003 19:09:01 Victor Mote wrote:
> I am
> tempted to go ahead and drop the jfor source code into the FOP repository &
> start hacking away. What do you think? The wiki made me think that maybe you
> were wanting to keep your options open. I guess the other issues that raises
> are 1) dropping in the Apache license (looks like no problem), and some
> style issues. What are your thoughts on all of this?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [RTF] Jfor integration

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi Victor,

If you're going to work on the RTFHandler I'd be happy to commit the
relevant jfor sources (the RTF library I assume) to the FOP codebase
with appropriate package name changes.

As Jeremias mentions, it might be better if I do it myself so that the
legal stuff is clear.
I should be able to do it between today and tomorrow.

The idea of using jfor in binary form at first was to avoid having to
maintain two RTF libraries - but if you're going for it, then the time
might be right to actually move the code here.

> .. Some of the source files contain non-ASCII characters (see
> main/JForVersionInfo.java, line 67, for example), but are encoded as
> ASCII
> (instead of UTF-8), so the IDE was choking...

Are .java files meant to be encoded in UTF-8? I didn't know that.

> ...dropping in the Apache license (looks like no problem),

no problem indeed

> and some
> style issues....

Do you mean code writing style like brace positions and stuff, or
deeper code structure issues?

-Bertrand