Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Bob Johnson <bo...@tumbleweed.com> on 2001/04/19 16:06:27 UTC

Slowdown with large attachment

MimeBodyPart.getContent() VERY SLOW at returning 4MB plain text attachment

Has anyone else noticed it taking 4-5 minutes for getContent() to return a
4MB attachment (from a bodyPart). Everything is local, so there's no slow
network connection involved. The delay goes up exponentially as the
attachment size increases! Since I'm starting from an existing MimeMessage,
the DataContentHandler for the attachment is already set to
com.sun.mail.handlers.text_plain (which seems to plow through the
StreamBuffer in 1K chunks, possibly recopying earlier bytes over & over).

I know that this isn't the fault of JAMES code, but I thought someone on
this list may have experienced/solved this issue.
How does one speed up this awful performance?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Slowdown with large attachment

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 10:06  19/4/01 -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:
>I know that this isn't the fault of JAMES code, but I thought someone on
>this list may have experienced/solved this issue.
>How does one speed up this awful performance?

Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do ;( You could try rewriting
javax.mail but that is waaay tooo much work ;) In my own mailserver I never
even used it - just twiddled with the raw bits. Other issues include memory
usage.

If you have a look at other mail servers, most of them except qmail have
similar issues ... I once saw a machine take 7 hours to send a 12 MB
attachment through (MSes mail server).
Cheers,

Pete