Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Zhong Yi <yi...@yahoo.com> on 2004/05/02 20:12:10 UTC

Embedding WinAnsi-Encoded font

I have been using embedded fonts with and without -enc
ansi option. I noticed the PDF file size is much
larger with ansi option thant that without ansi
option.
Does anyone have the same issue?
And how do you get around this?
The reason I want ansi font encoding is because
without it, the text is no aligned correct between
rows when you build table.

George

Re: Embedding WinAnsi-Encoded font

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Hi George

No guarantee that I'm getting this together correctly. If you don't use
the "-enc ansi" option only a subset (only really used glyphs) of the
TrueType font is embedded. There are bugs (or rather incomplete work) in
that part. If you use "-enc ansi" the TrueType font gets embedded as a
whole (1:1, with all glyphs) but the font descriptor in the PDF will say
that the WinAnsi encoding is to be used. That's easy to implement and
works in contrast to subset embedding as it is currently implemented.
Just because the whole font is embedded your PDF gets so much bigger.

To fix this you could:
1. try to track down the bug (probably) hidden somewhere in the font
subsetting code that leads to the bad layout. Obviously, noone bothered
to track it down, yet, as we have some sort of work-around with the ANSI
option. I guess, CVS HEAD will suffer from the same problem until
someone really fixes it.
2. try implementing subset embedding when using WinAnsi encoding.

Both alternatives are probably not that simple. But at least (1) has to
be done at some point in time.

Just keep the maintenance branch freeze in mind....

On 02.05.2004 20:12:10 Zhong Yi wrote:
> I have been using embedded fonts with and without -enc
> ansi option. I noticed the PDF file size is much
> larger with ansi option thant that without ansi
> option.
> Does anyone have the same issue?
> And how do you get around this?
> The reason I want ansi font encoding is because
> without it, the text is no aligned correct between
> rows when you build table.

Jeremias Maerki