Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Felipe Jaekel <fk...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/14 13:12:25 UTC

Question on parallel deployment

Hi,

I've been using parallel deployment successfully with JSF based webapps for
some years.

Now I'd like to use it with some web service based webapps (CXF). I noticed
on Tomcat Manager that these webapps doesn't create sessions on the
requests.

I use *undeployOldVersions="true"* on server.xml, so when I deploy a new
version of the webapp, will Tomcat wait active requests finish processing
before undeploying the old version or do I need to create some dummy
session attribute to make parallel deployment work correctly on this case?

I'm using Tomcat 8.5.4.

Thanks

Re: Question on parallel deployment

Posted by Chris Gamache <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Felipe,

It is my experience that Tomcat will continue to process long-running old
requests while new requests get served the new version of the webapp. When
the requests are finished processing Tomcat will undeploy the old version
of the webapp (undeployOldVersions="true").

If you do happen to create dummy sessions (we do this by touching
req.getSession()) you'll notice that the old version of the webapp won't
undeploy while there are sessions still out there.

CG