Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk> on 2005/04/13 16:46:26 UTC

Legacy docs in new repository

I have just done a huge commit (sorry!) of the old 2.1 documentation,
converted into a flat structure with the content formatted as HTML.

I've also committed a site.xml to go with this.

This means we're ready to start the job of moving content across to the
new structure, bit by bit. I'll start on this in the next couple of
days. Other volunteers welcome.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Legacy docs in new repository

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Upayavira wrote:
> I have just done a huge commit (sorry!) of the old 2.1 documentation,
> converted into a flat structure with the content formatted as HTML.
>
> I've also committed a site.xml to go with this.
>
> This means we're ready to start the job of moving content across to the
> new structure, bit by bit. I'll start on this in the next couple of
> days. Other volunteers welcome.

Apparently this commit broke the svn-mailer. Anyway, it would have
generated over 30 mails, so perhaps that's no bad thing!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 14 avr. 05, à 11:51, Upayavira a écrit :
> ...I think so. I __REALLY__ don't want any of these c21- docs to
> survive. They are there for conversion purposes, not for public
> consumption...

Sure...OTOH, having no docs at all would block a potential release,
whereas having legacy docs is better than nothing. But I *do* hope the
reviewing is done long before a 2.2 release ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: Legacy docs in new repository

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 14 avr. 05, à 11:41, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :
>
>> ...I don't see why we would want to keep the legacy info but if you
>> think it' necessary, just add the tag. For now I make a test whether
>> "/meta/legacy" is available and print a warning box...
>

> Ok, we can always change later if needed - YAGNI maybe..

I think so. I __REALLY__ don't want any of these c21- docs to survive.
They are there for conversion purposes, not for public consumption.

Otherwise we end up with loads of stuff of dubious quality that people
need to wade through, which I don't like.

If the stuff was somewhere else in a hidden repo, then maybe it is okay
to leave it, but not if it is in a public repo.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 14 avr. 05, à 10:43, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :
>
>> ...Instead of <source>legacy.21</source> we added
>> <legacy>
>>   <original-filename>
>>     userdocs/generators/extractor-generator.html
>>   </original-filename>
>> </legacy>
>>
>> This should be enough to add the fixme box too - I will update the
>> stylesheet...
>

> ok no problem, thanks!
>
> But this makes me think: we might want to keep this <legacy> info
> forever for some documents, to know where they come from.
>
> So maybe basing the "legacy warning" on something like

>   <status>legacy.21</status>
>
> would be better.
>
> -Bertrand

I don't see why we would want to keep the legacy info but if you think it'
necessary, just add the tag. For now I make a test whether "/meta/legacy" is
available and print a warning box.

Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion on this - so change at will ;-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Legacy docs in new repository

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 13 avr. 05, à 16:46, Upayavira a écrit :
>
>> I have just done a huge commit (sorry!) of the old 2.1 documentation,
>> converted into a flat structure with the content formatted as HTML...
>

> Thanks!
>
> I had planned to mark the published legacy docs, by adding
>
> <source>legacy.21</source>
>
> to each c21* meta.xml, which causes the legacy FIXME to be generated,
> as visible on
> http://brutus.apache.org/docs/build/cocoon-2-2/c21_concepts_index.html
>
> See
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/trunk/src/documentation/src/
> content/xdocs/c21-overview/meta.xml?rev=161247&view=markup
> for example.
>
> Assuming you're ok with the idea, can you easily add this tag to all
> c21-*/meta.xml with your scripts, or do you want me to do it?
>
> -Bertrand

Instead of <source>legacy.21</source> we added
<legacy>
   <original-filename>
     userdocs/generators/extractor-generator.html
   </original-filename>
</legacy>

This should be enough to add the fixme box too - I will update the stylesheet.

Sorry for not following your example - we simply overlooked it yesterday.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Legacy docs in new repository

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@luminas.co.uk>.
On 13 Apr 2005, at 19:48, Upayavira wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>> On 13 Apr 2005, at 15:46, Upayavira wrote:
>>> I have just done a huge commit (sorry!) of the old 2.1
>>> documentation, converted into a flat structure with the content
>>> formatted as HTML.
>>>
>>> I've also committed a site.xml to go with this.
>>>
>>> This means we're ready to start the job of moving content across to
>>> the new structure, bit by bit. I'll start on this in the next couple
>>> of days. Other volunteers welcome.
>> Um, I am getting :
>> $ svn update
>> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:670: (apr_err=160004)
>> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk'
>> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:367: (apr_err=160004)
>> svn:
>> Corrupt entry in 'transactions' table for '3uqh' in filesystem
>> '/x1/svn/asf/db'
>
> Try now. It seems the whole repo went down. Dunno whether it was me
> and my 4.8Mb commit that did it though!

OK, thanks it is working now.
(Good work with the docs BTW !)

regards Jeremy

                                 IT IS NOT FROM ME

                         Always check the label, folks !!!!!

Re: Legacy docs in new repository

Posted by Upayavira <up...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
On 13 Apr 2005, at 15:46, Upayavira wrote:

> I have just done a huge commit (sorry!) of the old 2.1 documentation,
> converted into a flat structure with the content formatted as HTML.
>
> I've also committed a site.xml to go with this.
>
> This means we're ready to start the job of moving content across to
> the new structure, bit by bit. I'll start on this in the next couple
> of days. Other volunteers welcome.

Um, I am getting :

$ svn update
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:670: (apr_err=160004)
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk'
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:367: (apr_err=160004)
svn:
Corrupt entry in 'transactions' table for '3uqh' in filesystem
'/x1/svn/asf/db'

any ideas?