Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Yuemei Sun <su...@engr.orst.edu> on 2003/01/25 04:36:41 UTC

basic design question about Role and Permission

I am a new comer.  I am curious why you have both Role and
Permission classes.  It seems to me that the Permission class doesn't
have much in it.  Why not just have class Role, and for each Role, only
one permission is assigned (represented)?

Thank you.

Amy

Re: basic design question about Role and Permission

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2003/1/25 5:40 AM, "Dan Diephouse" <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:

> A role is a collection of permissions.  It is a housekeeping object.
> You can assign a user a role and in doing so assign them a bunch of
> permissions.
>
> - Dan
>
> Yuemei Sun wrote:
>> I am a new comer.  I am curious why you have both Role and
>> Permission classes.  It seems to me that the Permission class doesn't
>> have much in it.  Why not just have class Role, and for each Role, only
>> one permission is assigned (represented)?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Amy

To add to that:

In your application, you only check for permissions. Any user who happens to
be in a role with a specific permission gets that permission.

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco

Re: basic design question about Role and Permission

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.