Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2004/02/23 23:28:48 UTC

chairmen..

If its not too patronising of me I'd like to propose vote of thanks to Sam as outgoing chair,

Sam, I know you've been more involved elsewhere lately, but from a personal point of view I've learned to respect and appreciate the low-key, mature and consensus building way in which you have steered Jakarta through a period of great change. You have worked hard to ensure that allegations of conservatism couldn't be levelled at Jakarta, and have sucessfully encouraged project after project to grow up and follow their own star. If more of us were more like you we'd've achieved so much more by now. Thanks its appreciated.

On a related note, welcome Geir, I'm sure you can count on us to continue to be a bunch of cranky opinionated blowhards who couldn't reach a real decision if our lives depended upon it. :-)

d.

Re: chairmen..

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 24 Feb 2004, at 16:06, Tom Copeland wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 17:28, Danny Angus wrote:
>> If its not too patronising of me I'd like to propose vote of thanks
>> to Sam as outgoing chair,
>
> +n, where n >= 1

+n!

(that's a factorial sign rather than an exclamation mark ;)

- robert

Re: chairmen..

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.
On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 17:28, Danny Angus wrote:
> If its not too patronising of me I'd like to propose vote of thanks to Sam as outgoing chair,

+n, where n >= 1

Tom

Re: chairmen..

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:

> Sam, I know you've been more involved elsewhere lately, but from a
> personal point of view I've learned to respect and appreciate the
> low-key, mature and consensus building way in which you have steered
> Jakarta through a period of great change. You have worked hard to
> ensure that allegations of conservatism couldn't be levelled at
> Jakarta, and have sucessfully encouraged project after project to
> grow up and follow their own star. If more of us were more like you
> we'd've achieved so much more by now. Thanks its appreciated.

Thanks!

Trust me, I've learned a *lot* in this process.

For fun, take a look at:

http://www.advogato.org/article/395.html

And in particular,

http://www.advogato.org/article/395.html#5

Nowhere was this made more clear to me than on Gump.  It has been THIS
experience that has guided my actions for the past several months.

My point?  Just because I'm not drawing attention to myself, doesn't
mean that I plan on going anywhere.  Or even that I've been involved
elsewhere.  Just that I have learned sometimes the way I can help most
is by stepping back.

- Sam Ruby

Re: chairmen..

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Feb 23, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Danny Angus wrote:

> If its not too patronising of me I'd like to propose vote of thanks to
> Sam as outgoing chair,
>
> Sam, I know you've been more involved elsewhere lately, but from a
> personal point of view I've learned to respect and appreciate the
> low-key, mature and consensus building way in which you have steered
> Jakarta through a period of great change. You have worked hard to
> ensure that allegations of conservatism couldn't be levelled at
> Jakarta, and have sucessfully encouraged project after project to grow
> up and follow their own star. If more of us were more like you we'd've
> achieved so much more by now. Thanks its appreciated.

Thanks Sam, for everything that you've done.  And thanks for sticking
around :)

> On a related note, welcome Geir, I'm sure you can count on us to
> continue to be a bunch of cranky opinionated blowhards who couldn't
> reach a real decision if our lives depended upon it. :-)

I'm counting on it!

geir

geir@4quarters.com

RE: chairmen..

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> If its not too patronising of me I'd like to propose vote of
> thanks to Sam as outgoing chair

Ladies and Gentlemen of Jakarta, I say ye Sam Ruby.  <<applause>>

	--- Noel