Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/03/10 05:03:06 UTC

mention of Apache

http://www.internetworld.com/print/current/news/19980309-apache.html

"Developers keep in touch via e-mail--a communication
mode that, while effective, isn't always efficient"

Hmm.  Looking at their finalists for their awards coming up
(http://www.internetworld.com/daily/reviews/1998/03/0601-awards.html):

Darn.  Morons.  For their "Top Products for Internet Professionals" awards
(no, Apache wouldn't be in there because it isn't for "internet
professinoals", it's for people that do things) they include
as finalists in server software:

	    JavaSoft / Java Web Server
	    Netscape Communications / Netscape Application Server
	    Sitara / SpeedServer

I don't see why their Java web server is outstanding; while I haven't
used it much, what I have heard from several people who want to
like it, they can't because it is so lacking, and I don't see it getting
any real use.  But, what do I know about the web.

Sitara's product is (from what they say on their web site; haven't seen
it) yet another big pile of festering crap.  You know,
another one of those products that makes wonderous claims about how
it can boost performance while at the same time lying about what TCP
can do today (oh yea, TCP is a go-back-n protocol) or essentially
removing congestion control to try to shove more packets through
a congested link.  Byte did a brief (page) article on it the other
month.  When I mentioned to the author that it was a dumb product,
he agreed and wished he had never written the review and made
rosy (not for the company) predictions of just how soon they will
run out of money and go away.  On top of that, it appears the
product hasn't even shipped yet!  They claim up to a 10x
speed increase.

You know, it is almost worth going to Internet World just to torment
sales droids.

As for Netscape's Application server, have nothing good or bad to say.

Heheh.  Cute.  I didn't know Bay was making an "extranet switch".
What is next?  An exonet?  Good god people, they are all networks.

Re: mention of Apache

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 09:03:06PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > Hmm.  Looking at their finalists for their awards coming up
> > (http://www.internetworld.com/daily/reviews/1998/03/0601-awards.html):
> >
> > Darn.  Morons.
>
> They nominated Net.Medic for best desktop software product. I don't
> think any more has to be said.

Arrrgggghhhh. Don't mention Net.Medic to me. I've sent them and their
users some stiff letters in the past. They encourage clueless users
to send mail (multiple at times) to webmasters when the site they are
using feels slow or is unreachable. Of course the mail just touches
on the speed/connectivity "problem" and then goes on to advertise
the product. I've told them they are using the clueless to do their
spamming for them.

Re: mention of Apache

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 09:03:06PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > Hmm.  Looking at their finalists for their awards coming up
> > (http://www.internetworld.com/daily/reviews/1998/03/0601-awards.html):
> >
> > Darn.  Morons.
>
> They nominated Net.Medic for best desktop software product. I don't
> think any more has to be said.

Arrrrrrrrrgh.  I know people who have used that pile of junk on a ppro
connected with fast ethernet to a dedicated port on a Cisco 7500 with
multiple DS3s to the net with almost zilch traffic over them, and it has
told them that their local gateway is overloaded.

It is also quite interesting to see the complaints about poor
connectivity it makes when a screen saver kicks in.

> > Heheh.  Cute.  I didn't know Bay was making an "extranet switch".
> > What is next?  An exonet?  Good god people, they are all networks.
>
> Be careful, don't give the droids any more ideas. Besides, the next
> one's going to be called a transnet.

I dunno.  I prefer exonet for something using VPNs to link a bunch of
Intranets together from multiple offices of the same company.

Re: mention of Apache

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 09:03:06PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > > Hmm.  Looking at their finalists for their awards coming up
> > > (http://www.internetworld.com/daily/reviews/1998/03/0601-awards.html):
> > >
> > > Darn.  Morons.
> >
> > They nominated Net.Medic for best desktop software product. I don't
> > think any more has to be said.
>
> Thanks, you ruined my day by pointing that out.

Hey, I'll bet you're not the one getting repeated automated letters from
it running on users' computers giving you all sorts of great information
about your network whenever their screensaver kicks in.

Re: mention of Apache

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 09:03:06PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > Hmm.  Looking at their finalists for their awards coming up
> > (http://www.internetworld.com/daily/reviews/1998/03/0601-awards.html):
> >
> > Darn.  Morons.
>
> They nominated Net.Medic for best desktop software product. I don't
> think any more has to be said.

Thanks, you ruined my day by pointing that out.

Dean

Re: mention of Apache

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.

Re: mention of Apache

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 08:52 PM 3/9/98 -0800, Ian Kluft wrote:
> >> From: Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
> >> http://www.internetworld.com/print/current/news/19980309-apache.html
> >>
> >> "Developers keep in touch via e-mail--a communication
> >> mode that, while effective, isn't always efficient"
>
> Please explain to me what part of that quote, or the rest of the article
> which quoted me, was inaccurate.

Nothing from my perspective, I just found it funny.  But then I find
most of what the press writes funny.  It is nice; I could stop buying
comic books a long time ago and just read industry magazines for my
laughs.

Re: mention of Apache

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 08:52 PM 3/9/98 -0800, Ian Kluft wrote:
>> From: Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
>> http://www.internetworld.com/print/current/news/19980309-apache.html
>>
>> "Developers keep in touch via e-mail--a communication
>> mode that, while effective, isn't always efficient"

Please explain to me what part of that quote, or the rest of the article
which quoted me, was inaccurate.

>[...]
>
>It sounds like they think e-mail is all the Apache Group uses.

It is our predominant communication vehicle.  CVS is just a way to keep
score; and when a CVS change is made, guess what - email is sent.

>It's
>probably hopeless to try to convince clueless newbies in the media how
>distribited software development and CVS work...

To be fair, it'd be like trying to teach surgery to journalists; it's not
an obvious or easy-to-understand thing.

>but maybe some people
>out there could benefit from an overview on Apache's web site about how
>the development process works.  Anyway, it's something to think about
>next time someone working on the Apache web site has a fit of creativity...

Yep, a quick overview document would be fabulous.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com